Petersens Hernia

Mary C.
on 6/27/12 5:48 am - Glovertown, Canada
 Just want to bring this to the attention of any post ops out there who are experiencing post op troubles. This happened to me one year post-op. I was near death. It was only through info that I got on the OH site that I got an idea of what may be going on. Saved my life - hope it helps others too! PS - I'm fine now!

Petersen's Hernia After Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass

Arnold H. Belgraier, MD 
Senior Attending Surgeon 
St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital 
New York, NY
Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery
College of Physicians and Surgeons
Columbia University
New York, NY

Petersen’s internal hernia occurs posterior to a gastroenteric anastomosis. Although rare, this hernia was well known during the 75 years in which chronic peptic ulcer disease was commonly treated by gastric resection and gastrojejunostomy. Since elective surgery for chronic peptic ulcer disease is now uncommon, a whole generation of surgeons may not be familiar with Petersen’s hernia at a time when this defect is making a resurgence because of the increasing popularity of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass to treat morbid obesity. Early recognition of this potentially serious condition is essential.

In the undisturbed abdominal cavity, the transverse colon acts as a partition between the stomach above and the small intestine below. Once a gastroenteric anastomosis is constructed, a potential space for internal herniation is created posterior to the limbs of the small intestine. The risk for herniation exists whether the anastomosis is ante- or retrocolic and whether the gastrojejunostomy is nonresectional or performed after a partial or subtotal gastrectomy.

azreggie
on 6/27/12 5:57 am - Tucson, AZ
Good to know, thanks for sharing.

Reggie

HouptMom
on 6/27/12 6:04 am - PA
 What were your symptoms?  I have had nausea and a little vomiting off and on since my bypass four months ago....but two weeks ago and this week again I am sick!  I am so concerned that something is wrong....

HW 267/SW 243/CW 177/ GW160

bbearsmama
on 6/27/12 7:02 am
RNY on 02/28/13
 I was wondering the same thing.

What were your symptoms?

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

Mary C.
on 6/27/12 11:14 pm - Glovertown, Canada
In answer to both of you - the best way to desribe what went on is to refer you to my blog. My profile is public. There are two entries there - one titled 20 month post op- and one titled 20 month post op cont'd. So, read away and that will tell you exactly what I was feeling as far as symptoms go etc. Not a fun time. I call it the summer that never was. Still - no regrets. Take care!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/27/12 11:27 pm, edited 6/27/12 11:27 pm
Yeap. I had that - app 6 months post op. Had it fixed during GB removal surgery.  But it opened again - and I had a second surgery a year later. So far so good.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 287 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics