Starting to think I don't know enough

Missy A.
on 6/28/12 1:45 pm - NC
RNY on 08/17/12
Reading everyone's post, I feel like I'm not educated enough about food for after my surgery. I will probably have my surgery in August and I'm trying to create a post-op plan now, but it gets overwhelming. I just can't help but think I won't be prepared. I don't like beans or cottage cheese and I know those are big protein makers. I have never tasted greek yogurt, so not sure if I like it. I haven't ordered my protein powder samples yet. I think I'm just getting scared I will fail, if I don't plan everything just so.

Any suggestions on how to get better prepared?

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Momaroo
on 6/28/12 1:54 pm
Stock up on lots of options. Nothing sounded good to me twice for the first few weeks. I would think something sounded good until I ate it then I did not want it again. The protein drinks that I liked before surgery were too heavy after surgery for a few weeks. Now they are fine. You just have to go with how you are feeling for awhile. Hopefully your surgeon or nutritionist will give you some ideas too.

Momaroo    

Mary Catherine
on 6/28/12 1:56 pm
 First of all you should have no appetite for a long time.  I stocked up on different broths and it ended up that one can did me for a week.   Sipping one ounce for takes a lot of time.  
Heidi T.
on 6/28/12 1:56 pm
RNY on 01/31/12
 My suggestion is to relax breath and take things step by step. You may not like something now but post op it will taste different. As for protein samples my suggestion is this (it may not be popular )
Wait until about 15 days prior to surgery go to gnc get a whey, soy, RTD (ready to drink) and an unflavored protein all in the flavors that you like (Gnc is familar with WLS and if you ask they can help you find the brands that are most tolerated). I suggest this because GNC has a 30 day return policy and once you try them if you can not tolerate them you can return them (they are expensve) that is as long as you are allowed to drink protein shakes within the first two weeks post op if not please adjust so you are within the return window. I really dont like greek yougart either yet I do sneak it in any way that i can I mix a  bit in sf pudding with protien powder, I marinate meat in it and so forth. Eggs are a good source of protein, so is chicken, tuna, port. My suggestion would be to cook meat in a crock pot when you first try them, this will ensure that they are moist, and take a bite and then wait for a few mins to be sure that you will tolerate the meat.

Relax, you are attempting to make a plan and that is a very important step, go through the notes your nut gives you, check things off one at a time. Mark on your calender the progression of your stages. You can do this and we are all here to help.

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
hedrider
on 6/28/12 2:18 pm - Midlothian, TX
You need to be prepared. Ask questions. Talk to your nutritionist and surgeon. Start trying food you might not like now.

Beans and cottage cheese are early foods, but there are others. Sit down at the office and have your nut help you come up with a game plan.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

JJ_
on 6/28/12 6:50 pm
What is your post op diet and the stages?

My bariatric centre provided us with a nutritional class prior to surgery.  I knew what I could eat once I came home from hospital and made sure I had those items handy.  Do not get too much of anything because - 1 - you only eat a bit of things and need to sip liquids all the time and 2 - you may be able to eat applesauce - however one small container may be two or three snack equivalents.  Plus you may find some things constipating and need to switch things up.

I was able to refer to the stages - highlight foods that interested me and get out the first week post-surgery to pick up stuff for the next stage.  So no, you do not need to prepare everything at once.

Just remember that it does get better.  Once you are knowlegeable about the protein values of things, it is easier to know if you are getting enough in.

Judy
DebsGiz
on 6/28/12 8:58 pm - FL

Since having my surgery over three years ago, I have read many posts similar to your and have often wondered why so much emphasis is placed upon a concern that really does not have that much validity to it in my experience.

Because I've never been a breakfast eater, I usually have a chocolate protein drink for breakfast and  I take a calcium and Multi vitamin (Baratriac Advantage chewables).  Mid-morning, I have some almonds or a banana  and a calcium.  Mid-afternoon I have my second Multi and calcium.

Before I go to bed at night I have my iron and a couple of times each week I toss in a B-12.  It's just not that difficult at all. 

With regard to food, after the initial healing process, I found that I can pretty much eat anything I'm inclined to within reason.

Reasonable being the key term...

I think the best thing all of us can do for ourselves is to turn off the "worry switch" and simply go with the flow much more and just see what happens.  I think most of us will find that the things we lost sleep worrying over just never came to be.

Worrying has never changed a thing, so don't worry, be happy, and enjoy the journey.  Any bends in the road can be crossed when and if you get there.

Wishing you a successful and stress-free journey!!!

Sherry T.
on 6/28/12 10:40 pm - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
Making a plan is great!  Will someone be there with you while you recouperate?   I made sure hubby knew what to buy and was approved before he came home with something I couldn't have.   I am not a cottage cheese person either......but yogurt I can do....I only like the Yoplait in the blue container (it's the light version) and I've bought greek yogurt but haven't tried it yet.  I've never been a big dairy person ofcourse except for ICE CREAM! ugh :)   I tolerated the protein powders because I knew that was all I could have.  Pre-OP it was okay I could drink it through a straw....Post OP it was a little tougher because of NO STRAWS.  You do what you have to do....and honestly your tastebuds change.....peanut butter to me now..taste like it's burnt peanuts....maybe thats a good thing because I love some peanut butter!  

I too thought if I could get through surgery then I'd have a couple months of not being hungry. Something that always happened for me after I had my son, I lost 40lbs baby weight because of the c-section and just not wanting to eat (I was a single mom).    However, this time seems like I've been hungry since about 2 weeks out.....I've just had to be very careful and follow my doctor's instructions.   I've been released so to speak to start introducing other foods...however, I feel better still chopping my meat up with my mini-chopper.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is, everyone is different...follow the guidelines for what you know you can do....the only way to fail is to not even try.....I felt like my weight loss was slow but I decided it's better than where I was and I am losing!!   The NUT told me to eat a little more and see if we can kick start it (never been told that before! LOL)

Hang in there!!!  ((((hugs))))

Sherry
skabets112
on 6/29/12 12:06 am
I agree with the other posters, your taste will most likely change after surgery. Mine did a 180. I hate beans (i wouldn't even try refried beans) before surgery. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them after. I'm still not a big cottage cheese fan though. Greek yogurt grows on you, so make sure you keep trying it. I substitute it for recipes that call for sour cream as well.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

Sarah R.
on 6/29/12 1:08 am
It does seem overwhelming and it kinda is until you get home and you have to do what you have to do. 4-5 items out of the 20+ things I stocked up ended up being what I ate for my liquids phase, same with my puree and then soft stages. Best thing is to make sure you have plenty of options as you will more than likely find some dont sit well or others taste horrible right out.

As far as mushy proteins...cottage cheese, beans and greek yogurt arent the only things out there. I did pureed tuna fish with a little mayo and ricotta cheese...those were my mainstays.

As the others have said, most nutritionists will provide you with sample menus, mine did and they were extremely helpful in figuring out amounts and ideas for combinations of food.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 414 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 117 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?