Period stopped?

maggiet
on 6/30/12 7:47 am - Durham, NC
So, I'm thinking this is menopause (I'm at the right age)  but just wanted to check in with you women folk. I've lost 110 pounds. Did any of you have your period stop because of weight loss? I know that sometimes anorexics have their periods just stop but I'm nowhere near anorexia. I just wondered if it could be weight loss related?

I'll be ecstatic if it is menopause and final - freedom from the period! Yay! But I wondered if it might just be tempoirary and will come back.
Thanks for any replies, Maggiet
wendydettmer
on 6/30/12 7:54 am - Rochester, NY
could be iron issues. if your iron is low then it can change patterns.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

maggiet
on 6/30/12 7:59 am - Durham, NC
Ahhh! I'll check that. Thanks
Paula R.
on 6/30/12 8:15 am - White House, TN
I'm having similar issues. I have lost over 165 pounds and I haven't had a period since March. I called my gyn to see what she thought and she had me come in for some blood work. Evidently my hormone levels are normal and I am not menopausal. I'm 46. I have to call her next week to see if she wants me to come in for an exam, but right now they think it's due to the weight loss. I currently weigh about 146 so I am not anorexic either. At this point I'm just glad I'm not pregnant! LOL!
JJ_
on 6/30/12 8:23 am
How many months has it been without a period?  You need a full year without a period to be in menopause.  In speaking with other women in perimenopause, there are other symptoms, have you experienced any of them? 

I am at an age when I also could start menopause.  No symptoms yet.

Judy
Lady Lithia
on 6/30/12 8:29 am
Fertility spikes during weight loss. Is it possible you're pregnant? 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Hvfaith
on 6/30/12 9:09 am - St Albert, Canada
 I just went through this, period stopped for six months. Blood work shows peri menopause, doc thinks it was brought on quicker due to the weight loss.  My iron was low but is now normal.  I just had a period 2 months ago month, very heavy, but this last month nothing, so it's hormones.  I also get the hot flashes, but I get those if I eat wrong as well. I am 46, so don't be too surprised if it returns, cheers
maggiet
on 6/30/12 10:17 am - Durham, NC
It has been 4 months since my last period. And I have had some symptoms - really light hot flashes (not the really bad ones) and a few skipped periods but never more than a month. I just didn't think I was ready to stop altogether. Thanks for the info. I'll go to the Dr. check out my hormones and iron levels.
maggiet
on 6/30/12 10:19 am - Durham, NC
Oh and yes, I'm sure I'm not pregnant: I got "spayed" a few years back !
hedrider
on 6/30/12 10:29 am - Midlothian, TX
 1.  How active are you?

2.  How many calories are you getting on average?

3.  How much protein are you getting in on average?

So, it could be menopause or perimenopause.  It could be iron.  But it could be (and this is my case) it's weight loss and possible malnutrition.  I take in an average of 120 grams of protein a day.  I work out A LOT.  My protein stays around 6-ish.  I have not much body fat.

When you lose to a point where you are a lot of muscle and not much body fat you're body starts shutting off unneccesary things, like reproduction.  That's why you see no periods with anorexics - no body fat.

When I lost down to 132 my periods were so irregular I was going two months without, and they were sporadic.  Since I've gained up to 142 (well, 150 initially but it's dropping again) they have started to become more regular.  My last one was only a week late instead of 3 or 4.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?