Birth Control / Hormone Options TMI Sorry!!

Christina D.
on 6/30/12 9:28 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I was on tri-nessa from the time that my son was born 5 years ago, after my surgery (2-24-11) I switched to mono-nessa since medications are normally absorbed differently after surgery. 
Well the past two months, things have been kinda weird...  I have started a week early each month so I have a week left of pills when I start.  I dont miss any and theres no way that I could be pregnant so Im not worried there but its just weird to me that even though I'm on the pill my cycle has changed so drasticly. 

Could this be because I am not getting enough of the hormone in the pill? 

What hormone options have other post-people used in place of birth control pills?  Im just lost on what to use because I do take it for the hormones because if I dont take it I am a total psycho around "that time of the month"

Any suggestions or input? 

Thanks!

maggiet
on 6/30/12 10:44 am - Durham, NC
Sorry- not on any hormones/birth control pills. But I do know that my hormones went wild after the surgery. Perhaps it is time to talk to the Dr. or nurse about it? We malabsorb now so you might not be getting what you need.
Amandasimpkins
on 6/30/12 12:17 pm - NJ
yes my OB said that after the surgery my period will change a lot but i also have pcos and am on the depo shot. but he said it happens to anyone that loses or even gains weight!! hope this eases your mind!!
scarlettkimmy
on 7/2/12 10:00 pm, edited 7/2/12 10:01 pm - SC
RNY on 03/27/12
My surgeon and GYN recommended non-pill options post-op because of the absorbtion issue.  I'm on NuvaRing and love it.  You insert the ring and leave it in for 21 days.  You remove it for 7 days (similar to the BC placebo pills) so that you can have your period, and then you put a new one in.  Since the ring itself secretes the hormones, it's absorbed very differently than a pill that goes through your new stomach anatomy.  I also considered Merena, but since I hope to get pregnant within a couple of years, I decided to try the ring before an inplant.  Personal decision!

You may not be absorbing enough of the pill (we don't absorb all of our food,why would meds be any different??), so you may want to investigate your non-pill options.  If nothing else, it could help your worry a bit! :)

BeansOnToast
on 7/3/12 2:40 am - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 I'm actually having the mirena iud inserted in an hour for that exact reason. I'm still several weeks pre-op but I figured I'd get it now and not have to worry later on. 
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 325 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?