One Year already!

Shellbatronic
on 7/2/12 5:20 am - NC
 I am amazed that I am one year out from surgery! Seriously, it went by so fast and it seems like just yesterday I was so scared and unsure if it was the right thing to do. Now, one year out, I know that I did the right thing for me. It's not been an altogether easy journey, and of course it's still going, but I have learned so much about myself and have completely turned around the runaway train my life had become.

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and was careening towards Type 2 diabetes, and have been completely cleared of that. I was told after my levels were checked a couple of months ago that I am running so effeciently now that I don't need to worry about diabetes at all. So different from assuming it was an inevitability!

Best of all, I have been able to fully embrace exercise. That has been the most valuable thing for me, being able to lose enough weight to start moving without hurting myself. And now, I can run! I can lift weights! I squatted 100 lbs last weekend, and I was floored just thinking that I was lifting the excess weight I used to carry around every day.

Here's my before:

january09.jpg

And here's me a couple of weeks ago, crossing the finish line of a 5 mile and 32 obstacle mud run. I cried about 10 seconds after this because I just couldn't believe I did it!

This whole journey is about so much more than just a number on a scale. I am so grateful for my RNY, it really did change my life. I just wanted to share! 
JJ_
on 7/2/12 5:55 am
Time really flies doesn`t it!  How much have you lost over the last year?

Judy
Shellbatronic
on 7/2/12 5:58 am - NC
 I'm down 101 pounds total, but have put on a lot of muscle so I like to look at the Body Fat %, which is at 31% now down from 57% when I started.  I try to rely on clothing more than the scale or I can drive myself totally nuts. I'm 5'9", started in size 24/26 pants and am now in size 16.
JJ_
on 7/2/12 6:13 am
Way to go!  Getting fitter is great :) Congrats.

Judy
princessfrogee
on 7/2/12 7:52 am - AL
CONGRATULATIONS!! 

I am right at a year out as well!  Just posted picks on my blog photos.  (It has been so long since I have been on OH I am not even sure I can remember how to post pics on the msg. posts.  LOL)  I am so proud of you for running the 5 mile mud run!  I know that I couldn't do that myself, but have been working out for the past two months with a fitness trainer and really trying to tone up some muscles and the saggy baggies on my arms, legs and stomach.  I am at about 107 lbs. lost.  Like you, I tend to lose inches over lbs.  Need to retape myself and compare the inches lost.  But wanted to congratulate you on a great job on that run!

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
Shellbatronic
on 7/2/12 8:01 am - NC
 Way to go, princess! Congratulations on a year out and the amazing loss! I think the strength training is what's made the difference for me as far as saggy skin goes. I met a lady who lost more than me in a shorter time but she didn't exercise and the amount of saggy skin she had was really intimidating to me. My trainer swears toning is the way to go, so I'll just keep on trucking.

Thanks for the kind words!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 766 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 496 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 273 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 7 replies · 45 views