1 year surgiversary

T V.
on 7/7/12 12:03 am
I haven't posted in such a long time. But, I woke up today and realized it was one year ago today that I had my roux-en-y. I have only lost 42 lbs and that was in the first 3 months. Since then I have stayed at the same weight for 9 months. I never felt like I had the malabsorption that most people experience. I did have 3 strictures roughly 5 weeks out to 2 months. Is there hope for me?

poet_kelly
on 7/7/12 12:17 am - OH
What does your surgeon say about why you haven't lost anything in the last nine months?

Can you tell us about what you've been eating?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

T V.
on 7/7/12 4:47 am
Hey Kelly,
I am trying to eat lots of protein, but I am off of the diet quiet a bit. I separated from my husband and lost my job (which I know is not an excuse). I went back to my surgeon after 3 months, then they sent orders for my 6 month blood work to my regular physician since they are 3 hours away. I am wanting to go back and make an appointment, but I hate to hear them tell me that I have failed. I just hope that I am not past the "honeymoon" phase so I can get back on track. My life has been like a roller coaster. I am on anti-depressants and they don't seem to work much either. I feel like my hormones are all screwed up too. Advice?

Thanks for listening!

poet_kelly
on 7/7/12 5:15 am - OH
Go back to see your surgeon.  It's not his job to judge you, it's his job to help and advise you.

I'm wondering if you have some hormonal or other issues going on.  It seems like it would be difficult to not lose anything after the first three months, even if you tried not to.

When you say you are off the diet quite a bit, what does that mean?  How many calories a day?  How much protein?  Are you drinking with meals?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

T V.
on 7/7/12 9:09 am
Kelly,
By being off the diet I mean I don't get to eat the 5 small meals a day like I am suppose to. When I do eat I really don't eat a whole lot either. I am going back to some of the bad stuff (fast food) even though I try not to. I recently ordered me some Click to see if I can start getting in the amount of protein I need. I think my worst hang up had been coffee and I can't drink coffee without sugar and cream. Since I started back to college after being laid off I have had a lot of late nighters. I went about 2 weeks ago to my gyno and he said I do have POCS (which they had told me before that I didn't). He wants me to go back to my endocrinologist and have my insulin levels checked. I was insulin resistant before the bypass. He seems to think that may of come back. I haven't exercised like I should, so I know I am to blame partly, but I really think my hormones are playing a big part too. It's just getting the right doctor to see it. My endocrinologist had run test a couple of years ago and he said the markers weren't right for me to have POCS, but my gyno went in for an exploratory surgery and said both of my ovaries were covered with cysts. He only removed one at the time because that was where most of my pain was. It is my understanding though that the test they do are not necessarily the right levels for everyone, that everybody's body is different. Another thing that has happened my sugar seems to be flucuating (dropping fast). I know people that have the roux-en-y can get reactive hypogylcemia. So I wonder if that is a possibility too. I know I need to go back to my gastro doctor and I plan on calling Monday first thing. I just wanted some advice from you. I know you know alot about it.

Thanks again,
Tracy

poet_kelly
on 7/7/12 9:12 am - OH
Try eating five or six times a day for a week, eating a good amount of protein at each small meal.  Stay away from the starchy stuff - bread, pasta, rice, etc.  Try it for one week and see if your blood sugar isn't a lot more stable.  That's what keeps me from having the crashing sugar.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 396 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404