Who's had an ulcer?

maggaggie
on 7/6/12 6:15 am - MO
RNY on 05/29/12
I am still nauseated and vomiting at least once a day.  Went and saw surgeon today and he says it' still probably the ulcer.

How long does these take to heal?
Surgery 5/29/12...
Lady Lithia
on 7/6/12 6:20 am
my PCP treats any hint of an ulcer with 6 months of proton-pump inhibitors. he figures that if it feels and acts like an ulcer it probably is one, so why not just treat it? The cost and effort of determining if I have an ulcer is more than the cost and effort of just treating it. Also it's near impossible to diagnose an ulcer in the remnant stomach without surgery, so when I get symptoms (after NSAID use) we just treat it and after six months stop the treatment. So every time I take an NSAID, I consider the benefits over the costs (taking meds for six months to deal with the inevitable ulcer). for me, the reality is that I can handle two doses of an NSAID, but dose three is generally enough to give me an ulcer.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

maggaggie
on 7/6/12 6:31 am - MO
RNY on 05/29/12
I had the endoscopy a little over a week ago-I really thought I had a stricture.

I'm on Prilosec once a day, Carafate four times a day, and he just added two more meds, Cytotec and Zofran. 

I really hope this does the trick.  Because not being able to drink (nausea) is really getting to me.
Surgery 5/29/12...
twobabies06
on 7/6/12 7:59 am
I was on all of this as well.  It took me a couple of weeks to start to feel normal or somewhat normal anyway.  Most of the time I had to force myself to eat a little and drink, it did get better, but took time.  I didn't have to have it removed or even have another scope as I started feeling better and felt that it was healed, so the doc agreed to just leave well enough alone.  Best of luck, it is a terrible feeling to feel and be sick due to the ulcer.

jrobin14
on 7/6/12 6:56 am - Charlotte, NC
I had an ulcer but mine never healed I had to have surgery to cut the portion of intestines out that it was in but that is not the normel case with ulcers,

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/6/12 6:59 am
Like Lady L - when It feel I may be having or getting an ulcer - I get meds. And... I also follow an ulcer friendly diet.  You can google that.

Ulcer friendly - is a diet that is very mild, low volume and soft or liquid to allow the healing process.
It take 2-3 weeks of a very mild diet + meds to have most of the symptoms to go away - and stay away as  long as I continue to take the meds and ... I am very careful.
what do I do? 
don't drink cold water or shakes, and avoid acids. Avoid spicy food - unless it is with cayenne or ginger -that actually helps healing.
Drink ginger tea and green tea daily - a few times a day
Take probiotics
avoid milk - some yogurt can be OK
Avoid any "hard foods" like grilled chicken, meats, etc.
Very soft foods, easy to digest and pass - no stretching the pouch.
Normally I can eat 1-1.5 cup of food - but when I have symptoms - mostly can tolerate 1/2 cup of food( swelling - may make the pouch smaller or more sensitive)
I try to get easy exercise - not too much - but some walking , stretching.
and so on...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Lady Lithia
on 7/6/12 8:04 am
With this egg-shaped lump under my jaw (seein the doc in a couple minutes) I took a couple of NSAIDS.... by the end of the day my capacity to eat had decreased to 1/4th my usual capacity and my tummy was hurting. It might sound perverse, but I had to use the meds to prove to the insurance that I can't use the meds. So now I can report back that my stomach hurts bad after only two. (victory?)

I haddn't thought how a pre-ulcer might affect my capacity, and I'm guessing that's why my tum hurt and I couldn't eat what I normally eat.

Thankfully I'm pretty sure that I haven't gotten an ulcer with just two pills, but it'll only take one more in the next month and It'll be a full-blown ulcer. I was always sensitive to NSAIDS even pre-op. Ah well. Must leave to go to the doc

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/6/12 8:09 am
(HUGS) ... Hope you feel better soon...
BTW; my pouch capacity gets affected before real "stubbing" pain starts.    That's when I go "oh o..." better be careful...

BTW: most likely the natural salicylic acid - from willow bark extract -in good quality herbal supplements should not affect us the same way.

For a while now I have been taking natural pain - anti-inflammatory herb combination.  Really works for night pains.. and workout pains.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tinamarie_125
on 7/6/12 9:24 am
 I have one that just won't heal :( and I hate that stupid carafate. Blech. My doc doesn't really know why it won't heal. He said with most situations like that the patient is a smoker, drinker or takes NSAIDs. I do none of these. 
cegirl6
on 7/6/12 9:26 am - Westminster, CA
RNY on 03/12/12 with
I have one where the bypasssed intestines are attached to my new stomach...just diagnosed on monday.  Only symptoms I had were a slight burning sensation when eating and sometimes a little pain, especially the first meal of the day. I had no nausea or vomiting.. My dr gave me the option of having an endoscopy and I chose to have one because I really wasnt sure what was going on because my symptoms were inconsistent.. I kind of thought it was all in my head lol

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 334 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views
Recent Topics