Dehydration, why? = explanation

Dave Chambers
on 7/11/12 12:06 pm - Mira Loma, CA

I saw this on another forum from a doctor in Japan:

"1) You have a shortened route which decreases the amount that's absorbed, and this includes water, not just food/nutrients, so you are going to find yourself constantly sipping/drinking other than the time range around your meals.  This malabsorbtion will recover with time, but it's going to take a couple of years."

"2) About half of the water we ingest is actually from foods--food has a lot of water in it, and since the amount of food that you get in is greatly reduced, so is the water intake from that. you have to compensate for this by drinking water. you will have to keep this up for the rest of your life."

DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 7/11/12 12:08 pm - OH
The second one makes sense to me.

The first, not so much.  Water is mostly absorbed in the lower part of the small intestine and in the large intestine, which have not been bypass in RNY patients.  So I'm not sure the bypass would decrease the absorption of water much.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/11/12 12:15 pm - OH
 Ditto what Kelly said.

I actually don't drink much more than I did pre-op, and have not had any problems with dehydration.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

unewillow
on 7/11/12 12:20 pm - CT
I lived in a pretty constant state of dehydration before my surgery, but it never bothered me. Post-surgery though, I know when I am a little on the dry side because I feel crappy and my BP plummets.

Lady Lithia
on 7/11/12 1:41 pm
Not sure what is true, but I do know that often my food choices are based on my preference of being hydrated. I've been known to skip meals so I can continue to have more to drink. I'm always thirsty, always drinking something.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views