carbs post has me thinking

wendydettmer
on 7/15/12 8:48 am - Rochester, NY
 There was a post the other day about how many carbs people eat at a year out.  I eat a decent amount now, but all in the form of veggies, beans, fruits, etc.  I don't do meat and have recently cut out dairy.  But I don't do bread, pasta, rice, etc.

I easily get over 100 (usually 130ish) a day in carbs, with between 30-50 of that being natural fiber.  I am losing every week, although it has slowed down to about 1.5-3 pounds a week, but I am 7 months out.  i eat around 1000-1100 calories a day (which is way less then my actual plan). 

I guess I'm having my first 'freak out' moment.  I have worked HARD to seriously change my lifestyle choices and actions to maximize this time - but have done different then a lot of people.  I guess I'm just having my scared time lol

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Lady Lithia
on 7/15/12 9:26 am
What is scaring you? 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

wendydettmer
on 7/15/12 9:35 am - Rochester, NY
 I think i'm scared that i'm not eating right.  Rationally I know that it's silly - I am following my plan (other then not eating enough, but I can't eat as much as they want right now), and I know I am making good choices, just my protein choices are higher carb because i don't do meat.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/15/12 10:11 am - OH
Listen to your rational part and don't freak out.  I eat close to 100 carbs per day (and more than that some days, I am sure... but I don't track food stats on a routine basis) and I will be 5 years out next month and am maintaining my 185+ pound loss.  (I am 7 pounds above my lowest weight and have been for over 3 years.)   I get a lot of my protein from dairy, so that is the bulk of it, and then the rest are usually fruits and veggies (with occasional bread items).  As you said, some of the carbs are fiber and I think that is one of the reasons that I do not have to take anything daily to combat constipation.  

As long as you are eating good carbs and have a good, balanced diet you are fine.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

wendydettmer
on 7/15/12 10:35 am - Rochester, NY
 Thank you.  I think i'm just getting weird because i'm getting ready to travel to CA this coming week and paranoid about choices.

april89love
on 7/15/12 10:26 am - NC
You are looking really good!! I didn't recognize your picture at first. Keep up the good work!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

wendydettmer
on 7/15/12 10:36 am - Rochester, NY
 Thanks!  Although now that i've lost weight, i need some smaller sunglasses lol  my face isn't as big anymore!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/15/12 10:49 am
You eat really healthfully from your posts. I think when we talk about carbs, we have a tendency to lump all carbs together. A carb from a bean is a much better carb than one from Wonder bread.

I think you loss has slowed some because you are getting much closer to your goal. I'm ten months out and mine has slowed. My loss still looks like a set of stairs on a graph, but  I lose less per month than I used to. My average loss now is about 7 pounds a month.

I think you're doing great. I understand the freak out moment. I've had to talk myself down from the ledge quite a few times.
gbsinsatx
on 7/15/12 11:20 am - San Antonio, TX
  • These are the rules I follow: 
    •  
    • *Drink 64 ounces Liquids daily (drink up to a meal, wait 60 minutes after a meal) (I add 2 packets sugar free drink mix and 1 teaspoon Benefiber to 2-32 ounce water containers)
    • *Must eat at least 60 grams of Protein a day (I eat 80 or more grams in maintenance)
    • *Eat dairy products that are no fat/low fat
    • *Eat simple (dairy, fruit) and complex (beans, vegetables, whole grains) Carbohydrates (I do not count daily grams)
    • *No more than 15 grams of Sugar per meal (more grams if able to tolerate-I allow myself up to 30 grams Sugar per meal from Simple and Complex Carbohydrate sources and also from Dairy products that are no fat/low fat because I do not seem to dump on Sugar)
    • *I eat 3 main meals (B, L, D) no further than 5-6 hours apart
    • *I eat 3 protein snacks in maintenance at least 2-3 hours from B, L, D
    • *24 Months after surgery (or when goal weight is reached before 24 months): Maintenance calories (BMR/RMR & Activity Level) (Malabsorption of calories lasts approximately 18-24 months) (I eat 1800 calories a day to maintain my weight loss of 200 pounds at a weight of 131 pounds. My height is 5'4")
    • I do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. I do move around a lot more and do a lot more walking.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

poet_kelly
on 7/15/12 12:41 pm - OH
I have the same issue, although I do eat dairy.  My carbs were always on the high side since I get a lot of my protein from beans.  All I can say is, it did not keep me from reaching my goal.  I think you're doing fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 353 views