Chew it up and spit it out

poet_kelly
on 7/19/12 10:20 am - OH
Then why not drink juice?  When I want juice, I drink juice, I don't chew up food and spit it out.  It really doesn't sound like a healthy behavior to me.  I think it would be wise to at least discuss it with your surgeon and/or registered dietician, and probably a therapist as well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

happy_baker
on 7/19/12 4:54 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
 Does watermelon fill you up?  

It slides right through my pouch. I could probably eat half a melon if I were so inclined. That much sugar would make me sick, obviously, but wouldn't fill me up. But as mentioned above, it's the juice that contains the sugar, not the fiber, so if you're worried about saving yourself the sugar, spitting it out isn't going to do much. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Tessie W.
on 7/19/12 8:57 am
Wouldn't we still get some of the calories, etc. just from the juices? 

It's a slippery slope - be careful. 

ronningeeb
on 7/19/12 9:05 am
RNY on 08/09/12
Agreed, it is a dangerously slippery slope

poet_kelly
on 7/19/12 9:14 am - OH
Sure, fruit juice is usually high in calories and sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ToNewBeginnings
on 7/19/12 9:40 am
I can understand where this is coming from. Early out when it was difficult to eat anything and the feelings of "omg will I ever be able to eat again"..or.."where did my friend go?"
The thought of chewing a big mac and just spitting it out came across my mind. Although I didn't do it , I understand the feeling.

I think the others may be right in saying that you may want to be careful.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/19/12 10:11 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 It's not something I would or could do. I like swallowing! I tried watermelon at 3 weeks and the little bit I ate was fine. The fiber did me good.
I had a vegetarian friend who would chew up a bite of steak, then spit it out. I guess she felt the blood and water were all right but the muscle fibres were bad.
It seems to me chewing and spitting would make it harder to stay on plan than, er, staying on plan. 

Lady Lithia
on 7/19/12 10:16 am
This is absolutely an eating disorder, especially if doing it once leads to doing it more than once... And the worst part is that the calories you won't malabsorb are the main calories you'll get: the carbs. Put some sugar in your mouth and then spit it out, you still digest some of teh ccarbs. You start to digest things from teh minute they are in your mouth. Saliva has an enzyme in it that helps to convert food in its many forms into energy the body needs. There's a reason that sublingual meds work.... they absorb through your mouth and not your gut. Sugar carbs are the same way.

I would stop doing it, and if you find that stopping is easier said than done, then see a therapist to work on it.

I've seen more than one postop have their weight loss sabotaged by this behavior.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/12 10:18 am, edited 7/18/12 10:25 pm - OH
I understand wanting the taste of something you cannot yet have or something you are afraid might make you sick, but as a licensed professional counselor I can tell you that you have started down a VERY dangerous road that will very likely lead to routine chewing and spitting of all sorts of high-fat or high calorie items like cheeseburgers and French fries. I know, I know... This is just for right now... And is just because you are so limited in what you can eat and you need some variety... And it won't become a habit... Blah, blah, blah. I have heard it all... And the people I have heard t from are the same people who, several months down the road, find themselves going through a drive through and chewing and spitting cheeseburgers or doughnuts... and then find that they cannot stop doing it.

I hope you will reconsider. The VERY short term pleasure of the taste of watermelon is NOT worth risking an eating disorder. Slowly eat one bite of watermelon instead, and swallow it. You will have your taste without engaging in a disordered eating behavior. The fact that you say you have started doing this with lots of foods is a HUGE RED FLAG.

Additionally, you are getting all sorts of calories and carbs/sugar with the watermelon juice. All you are discarding is the fiber (which is the only nutritionally valuable part of watermelon)!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ladytazz
on 7/19/12 4:47 pm
I am going to drive myself crazy trying to remember the name of the person that had a great blog that wrote about this but it was a great explanation.  Lady Lithia did a good job of explaining.  It's about how it starts the digestion process and gets it going and then messes it up when the food doesn't arrive.  I know I'll remember.  In my opinion it is an eating disorder along the lines of bulimia, and sorry folks, about as disgusting.
If you want an education try Googling "Chewing food and spitting it out".

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 283 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 399 views
Recent Topics