Constipation at a Year Out! Stool Softener Suggestions?

chatterpam
on 7/22/12 11:41 pm - PA
 Ok - so I have been fine pretty much throughout this journey.  Starting about two weeks ago I have been having the worst constipation ever.  I never had this problem - even before the surgery.  I am getting plenty of fiber (about 30 grams a day) and drinking all of my water plus.  I don't eat much in the way of veggies though because I am usually too full with my protein.  Is this something that happens at around a year out? 

I've seen posts about stool softeners and things like Metamucil but never paid attention because it was not an issue for me.  I worry about becoming "addicted" to them and my body losing its natural ability to do what it has to do.

I also worry about diarrhea - I see clients and am in the car a lot.  Suggestions/explanations are appreciated.  Thanks! Pam

Ramie A.
on 7/22/12 11:57 pm - Bronx, New York, NY
Miralax is the way to go. 
Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

chatterpam
on 7/23/12 12:13 am - PA
Thanks for your reply.  How often do you take it, and what time of the day?
Ramie A.
on 7/23/12 12:21 am - Bronx, New York, NY
Hi, I take one dose a day in the morning with my breakfast protein shake.  I mix it right in.  I'll likely take it every day for the foreseeable future.
Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

CarolBeth
on 7/23/12 12:17 am - SoCal, CA
I'm a year out and have had constipation issues constantly.  I take a dose of Miralax in my morning tea.  Then I also take 2 stool softners ("Colace" generic) mid day and another 2 in the evening.  Since you're getting plenty of fiber and liquid (VERY important), you may have to add only one of these things or a combination.  You may have to play around and see what works for you.  Some people just take Magnesium Oxide or a probiotic, but that didn't work for me.  My doctor says Miralax and stool softners (WITHOUT a stimulant laxative) are ok to take long term.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

stlfocus
on 7/23/12 12:24 am - IA
I take 3 Colace (generic version is WAYYYY cheaper) every night, and that has solved my problem.  It was ugly for awhile.  I also take 4 Fibercon tablets a day.

Gail S.
on 7/23/12 12:42 am - New York, NY
I take Senokat in the am and again at night with my iron. I drink a TON of water each day and get a lot of fiber, but my vitamins make me constipated. My dr recommended the senokat. Good luck!

poet_kelly
on 7/23/12 1:12 am - OH
Miralax.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chatterpam
on 7/23/12 2:48 am - PA

It seems like Miralax is the resounding fav here... how often and when should I take it? Any idea why this seemed to start happening out of the blue?  Thanks :)  Pam

poet_kelly
on 7/23/12 2:49 am - OH
I use Miralax daily.  I usually put it in my protein shake.

I have no idea why the problem just started now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 390 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 17 views
Recent Topics