So frustrated

Missy A.
on 7/24/12 5:54 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12
I had my upper endoscopy two weeks ago. That was the last thing need before approval from insurance. I have been emailing my bariatric coordinator everyday for the last week b/c the keep telling me they haven't recieved the clearance letter from my gastro. I have called the gastro and they gave me THREE different dates and times they faxed the letter over. The first being the day after my endoscopy! I let it go and just recieved an email from my surgeons office and they say the just recieved it and that they need some more info from the hospital??? Not sure what that means, but I have made sure every step of the way that they have gotten everything they have asked for. I was hoping to have my surgery Aug. 6-10, but it doesn't look like that will happen. My paperwork hasn't even been sent for approval yet. Does a yone know how long that process usually takes? I have BCBSNC. It just frustrates me that they possible have been sitting on the clearance letter for almost two weeks and could have requested the other info sooner!!!

Sorry for the rant...just blowing off steam

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Sherry T.
on 7/24/12 5:58 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
We have BCBSGA and it took about a week once I had my info faxed to them.  I called a week later and it was in the queue for the nurse to review so I called back the next day to provide more positive information in hopes they'd approve it...when I called the pre-certification area the guy on the other end told me it was approved.  I was so happy! I told the guy he just saved my life...I could actually hear him smiling! It was a good afternoon!  Hang in there chicka....stay on top of them.....all of them because that's what it takes unfortunately!!   (((hugs)))  Sherry
Sherry T.
on 7/24/12 6:02 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
wait...that is sort of confusing...i waited a week before I called the insurance company and they told me they had received the file and it was in the nurse's queue to review...when I called back the next day it had been approved!  I had to keep calling my patient coordinator to get her to fax it..because I kept getting mixed information.  So she did send it though she wasn't 100% sure it would be approved. 
swoozieq67
on 7/24/12 6:01 am - MI
RNY on 04/25/12
It depends on the insurance company. I have BCBCMI and it took them 3 days to deny my request for RNY. We sent in an appeal and 1 week later I recieved an approval letter. My surgery was originally scheduled for 3/12/12 and it had to be postponed to 4/25/12.

Just a word of advice, contact the insurance company and be very nice to the customer service people, a little kindness goes a long way. Just tell them that you would like an update on your claim to see if it has been approved yet and ask them how long it usually takes.

Good Luck and I hope that you get your approval quickly!

Sherry T.
on 7/24/12 6:04 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
I definitely agree...kill them with kindness...makes them want to help you.  Even when they are slammed with a heavy workload. 
Wanda K.
on 7/24/12 6:22 am - Hope Mills, NC
RNY on 04/09/12
I have BCBS Fed and it took them 3 days to approve me.  It is definitely not out of the question to get it done during those dates but it also depends on what dates the surgeon has avaiable to do it.  I got my call but unfortunately, I just started school, so I had to wait for spring break to have mine so I could rest a little bit before going back full force.  Good luck and keep your head up.  I know the frustration you are going through.  i was denied initially and it took six months, not becasue of the insurance but because of my family doctor finding out what was missing and he was dragging his feet.  Keep on them and you will have your surgery before you know it.  Like I said stay positive and keep your head up. 

Wanda 

HW: 282, SW: 244.4, CW: 211, GW: 140   

Amanda M.
on 7/24/12 9:04 am
RNY on 07/26/12
 I have Independence BCBS (Amerihealth) and I met with my NUT the final time on June 18th.  It took from that date, to go through the medical ofice coordinator to the insurance review to the insurance company to approve it on July 2.  I killed everyone with kindness, but towards the end I was getting a little frustrated.  Just hang in there.  

Visit me at my website:  www.momburntdinner.com or at Flickr / Facebook /Twitter 

Surgery on: July 26th, 2012     Highest (Known) Weight: 365    Current Weight: 272

Sherrie P.
on 7/24/12 9:44 am
RNY on 02/06/13
Duke told me they usually hear back from BCBS in 48 hours.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

THE_life10
on 7/24/12 3:23 pm
RNY on 03/26/12
I have bcbsga and i live in nc.

I rec'd approval 2 days after the surgeons ofc submitted the paper work.  My surgeons ofc submitted mine the day I finished my last required  appointment.

I would definitely file a complaint with my surgeons ofc for not submitting your stuff especially if you've done everything on your end.  That shows that they are not organized.

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views