Dizzy when standing up

allicole1235
on 7/26/12 10:17 am - Chesapeake, VA
Hello everyone. I havent posted in awhile. Ive been off having adventures!

I was wondering if anyone else experiences dizziness when they stand up? I am 8 months out. I didnt know if it was surgery related or if something is actually wrong with me...but it happens everytime. thanks!
avivaps
on 7/26/12 10:20 am
RNY on 02/28/12

Best to get it checked out but it could be you are having low blood pressure now that you have lost weight, could be some dehydration too.  Are you on any medications?

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

courtwillbehealthy
on 7/26/12 10:22 am - burlington, VT
 ME TO!! 
allicole1235
on 7/26/12 10:25 am, edited 7/26/12 10:25 am - Chesapeake, VA
I am only on prescription Prilosec because I have alot of acid production in my pouch and it was causing ulcers. Other then that just my vitamins. Sooooo thankful about that too! I told my Dr about it at my 6 month check up and he said oh no your getting plenty of fluid. I just dont drink water much i drink flavored stuff. Does that make a difference?

LJ1972
on 7/26/12 10:26 am - FL
I have horrible dizzy spells.
When you stand a couple of things you can try... stand slooowly, and inhale. A) the act of rising drops your blood pressure for about 15-20 seconds, and most people tend to hold their breath.
When that didn't help my dizziness I went to my primary doc's PA. She said it is low blood pressure due to rapid weight loss - in my generic laymens terms - basically the heart and veins are used to having to WORK. SO. HARD. to move blood and oxygen, then all of a sudden it gets easier, so they make an adjustment the other direction and go too far. Also the veins tend to stay relaxed (or whatever the right terminology is).

My surgeon says it is pretty rare, but people have had to have pacemakers placed because their heart never figures it out. He offered to send me to a cardiologist _ I declined! Increased sodium (I don't cook with salt or add salt if someone else cooks, not a whole lot of processed foods), doubled my already ridiculous water intake. Still having dizzy spells. So I will see my surgeon for my one year in a couple of weeks and see what we need to do from here.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

allicole1235
on 7/26/12 10:29 am - Chesapeake, VA
Oh wow that is very interesting. I am so used to my old blood sugar issue being the culprate that I did check my blood sugar but it was perfect. I gotta figure out hoe to check my blood pressure at home...Thanks for the info. Ill try more water and standing slower.

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/12 10:37 am
Low blood pressure, imbalanced electrolytes, dehydration, low vitamins. I get it alot when I haven't had enough to eat or drink. I naturally have lower blood pressure, it's genetic I think. Mine have been as low as 94/65 pre-op. Usually hovers around 105/70. After fighting my way through terrible traffic to get to the doctors office one time it was actually 112/70. lol.
GraceGirl
on 7/26/12 10:56 am
Its happening to me too!!!

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

RonSudol
on 7/26/12 10:59 am - NJ
dehydration... go grab something to drink, and start drinking more brah

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/26/12 11:28 am - Windsor, Canada
Just google "orthostatic hypotension" .  This is the common term for it and yes, it is extremely common after surgery.   Myself, I'm 6 years out and I still get bouts of this!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views