Regrets

jjsparkilzz
on 7/31/12 10:31 am - Selden, NY
I have a surgery date of Aug 22nd. As the date gets closer Im getting nervous. I want to make sure I am making the right decision and was wondering if anyone regrets ever having the surgery.
Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/31/12 10:35 am
My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. But only you can decide if this is the right decision for you.

For me, having surgery has added years to my life. Obesity related conditions were negatively impacting the quality of my life and my health. 

Lots of folks have a little buyer's remorse early out when they are trying to get the hang of being a brand new post op, but everything gets easier over time.
Dave Chambers
on 7/31/12 10:42 am - Mira Loma, CA
Almost all longer range post ops have no regrets. That said, a lot of newer post ops have issues the first few weeks. Getting in enough water, tolerating fluids or protein shakes, constipation, grumby pouch, dumping on some foods, lack of energy, etc. cause some to have "buyer's remorse". Then a few months later hair loss will begin.  It happens to almost everyone.  It's a process, and the surgery is only a tool towards wt loss. It's your behavior modification that makes the difference in the long run.  It's not easy, but then again, diets were likely not easy and they probably never worked well, as you have a surgery for wt loss surgery.  Yes, it's normal to ??? you decision the last couple of weeks prior to surgery. I did the same thing, yet the day of surgery, I was up "raring to go" arriving so early for my 6 AM surgery that the hospital admitting doors were still locked. Good luck. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 7/31/12 11:03 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I regret that it took me so long to have my band removed and converted .
This is a highly personal decision. I sure thought I was doing right by having the band ( as they sold it 7.5 years ago)
It is NOT an easy journey , even though some make it look that way...the grass is always greener....
There is a lot to get used to , but once you do it becomes second nature.
I was EXTREMELY scared before surgery , all has gone well for me .  except IMHO slow weight loss ..but hey it happens.
Best wishes on your surgery

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Mike P.
on 7/31/12 11:05 am - WI
I was nervous also, but I have really had an uneventful experience.  Ive lost 132 lbs in 11 months.  All my fat person illnesses and aches and pains are all gone! I now bike, walk, even can go on carnival rides! Im off insulin, most of my meds, etc.  What the heck is there to regret. Sure you get the "you could die" talk....you can also get hit by a bus!  What a life changer! Good luck to you!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/31/12 11:20 am - OH
No, far from regretting it... deciding to have WLS was one of the best decisions that I ever made.

Most people are very happy that they had the surgery once they get past the first few months (whihc are very hard for some and not too bad for others). 

In the interest of honesty, though, anyone who is more than a year out and regretted their RNY either is not on Obesity Help at all anymore (assuming they were here to begin with) or they have had their RNY revised to a DS and therefore would likely be on the DS forum instead of here.  You might want to post over there and specifically ask for advice ONLY from people *****vised from RNY to DS (otherwise a whole hoard of people are likely to try to talk you out of RNY and into DS... although you will likely get some of that regardless).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

courtwillbehealthy
on 7/31/12 11:24 am - burlington, VT
 Im only 2 months out. BUT i can say i have NOT had a single regret so far. :) 
juleskar
on 7/31/12 11:53 am
My only regret is that I didn't have the surgery earlier.
avivaps
on 7/31/12 12:21 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
 I was very gung ho once I made the decision and couldn't wait for my date to arrive. Then, about two to three weeks pre-op I sudden got cold feet and was posting here about doubts, second guessing and alternative procedures. I was totally sideswiped by my cold feet.  Was nervous going into surgery but have been very fortunate how smoothly things have gone. It was a little challenging making the adjustment to the dietary changes but now, five months out and AT GOAL I cannot believe how wonderful I feel (and look :)

It IS a personal decision but cold feet as your date approaches is also normal.  It might help to draw up a list of pros and cons to remind yourself why you started this journey in the first place.

Good luck!

Andrea. 

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

GraceGirl
on 7/31/12 12:22 pm
No regrets al all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had done this sooner

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 319 views