Anyone elce feel this way pre-surgery?

mg220
on 8/4/12 12:14 pm
RNY on 08/08/12
After a 16 month process of waiting for RNY gastric bypass I will finally be having surgery this Wednesday! Yey! Just yesterday and today as well I have been feeling like I need to “get foods in" meaning Im trying to eat everything I think I might crave over the next year. Like its my last ha-rah with food.  I know this is like so wrong because I know that no matter what I WILL have cravings for foods that I will not be able to eat during this journey and will need to learn to deal with those cravings. I have OCD and I feel like this is kind of becoming an obsessive thing……eat all I can now because I won’t be able to do so after Monday. Did anyone else feel this way right before surgery? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Meg

Surgery Date: August 8th, 2012
HW: 285 / Surgery Day Weight: 274 / CW: 237.5 / Goal Weight: 160

"BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD"
-GANDHI

65rosesmom
on 8/4/12 12:23 pm
 I am scheduled for surgery next Thursday.   Last week, before I started the optifast my doctor requires, I felt that way -- but I was very committed to my pre-op diet.  My final meal I had chicken fajitas and didn't even eat the wraps.   So even though I was mentally grieving what I couldn't eat, I was still trying hard not to give in to the temptations.

The thing that is helping me is reminding myself that this is somewhat temporary.  While I won't be able to consume the quantities I do now, eventually I will be able to have bites of everything, within reason.   The severe restriction is short lived and as long as I change my daily eating substantially, I figure I will be able to have bits of anything I want on special occasions.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Dolores L.
on 8/4/12 1:16 pm - FL
Revision on 08/14/12
 I think it's probably a common feeling. I'm scheduled for my surgery on 8/14 and I have been having just those same urges. I'm trying not to give in (too much) thinking that eating the healthiest I can and "practicing" with small meals and small bites, will help me in the long run.

Congrats and I wish you all the best!

PositivelyPammy
on 8/4/12 1:34 pm - CO
RNY on 07/16/12
YES!  I know exactly what you mean!  I had surgery on July 16th.  But before I went on my preop 3 day liquid diet, I ate some of my favorites to say goodbye to it.  I know it was soooo wrong, but it was like saying farewell to an old friend. 

Now that I had my surgery, I'm glad I did that.  Again I know it's sooooo wrong.  When I see a comercial or see food in my daily life  I can pass it by knowing I already had it for the last time.  I don't crave the food like I think I would've. 

soooooo baaaaaaaad.  I know!
Tater84
on 8/4/12 1:43 pm
RNY on 08/06/12
I am scheduled for RNY on Monday, and I'm kind of starting to have similar feelings. Before I started the official pre-op diet, I didn't really "go all out" on faves. Just went out for a good mexican dinner the weekend before I started the diet. Now it's so close, and I'm not used to over-eating at this point. So I get really uncomfortable if I start overdoing it.

SW: 387 (highest ever)
CW: 282
GW: 175

rynbiz
on 8/4/12 4:34 pm - Surprise, AZ
IM HAVING SURGERY MONDAY 8/6 AND BEFORE MY PRE OP DIET I HAD CHOCLATE AND ICE CREAM 3 TIMES A DAY LIKE A BIG CRUNCH BAR FOR BREAKFEST XCHOCALATE FOR LUNCH AND ICREAM FOR DINNER AFTER A WEEK OF THAT I WAS KINDA SICK OF JUNK FOOD AND IT WAS TIME TO START MY PRE OP DIET SO i REALLY THOUGHT IT HELPED ME WITH MY URGES CAUSE I KINDA MADE MY SELF NOT LIKE JUNK FOOD ANYMORE AND MY PRE OP DIEST HAS BEEN CRUISE CONTROL THIS LAST WEEK  I HAD TO STOP HAVING BROTH FOR LUCH AND DINNER SO I HAD JUST PROTEIN DRINK FOR BREAKFEST AND TWO CHICKEN BRESTS FOR DINNER AND A SUGAR FREE  ICE POP FOR DESSERT SO I WOULD ENJOY IT YOU WILL GET SICK OF THE JUNK FOOD SO ITS THEN A EASY TRANSTION TO PRE OP DIET AND IVE LOST WEIGHT PREOP AND MY CLOTHES ARE STARTING TO FALL OFF SO ENJOY WHY YOU CAN  SAY GOOD BYE TO YOUR OLD PALS

Cherokeesage
on 8/4/12 6:06 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I was banded in Oct 2008 and it was deflated Oct 2011.  I knew I would be having RNY in February so I really ate in the meantime.  This included Thanksgiving and Christmas with several parties.  My husband took a week off prior to my 10 day preop diet to celebrate my February birthday.  We went to Dallas and made reservations at some of my favorite restaurants. 

I found during these 4 months that the food wasn't as good as I remembered and I felt ill the whole time eating this way besides gaining 25 pounds.  Thus,  I was more than  ready to start my preop diet.  I'm glad I did eat all I wanted because I don't miss anything or want any of the high sugar and fatty foods now thinking about how sick I made myself. 

My digestive system is much happier the way I eat with WLS.  I am having fun figuring out ways to prepare our meals using recipes for WLS and tweaking our favorite meals.  I certainly have not felt deprived.  My family has loved everything I've cooked.  I've had no problems finding foods I can eat when we travel.  Most restaurants have a wide variety on the menu these days.  I never cared for fast food so we only stop for it when we go through small towns that don't seem to have any other choice.  Still I've been able to find some protein to hold me until we get to our destination.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

marye140
on 8/4/12 9:14 pm - DE
I just had my surgery on 8/1.  I had to start Optifast on 7/18 and the week before that was my time to eat.  i did find though because I had already begun making lifestyle changes that smaller amounts of my favorites (and I did eat my favorites) went a long way.  .  My "last meal" that friends took me out for made me feel like I was planning to go to the death chamber and there was such pressure on choosing that meal.  Do it in moderation and remember you will be able to at least have small amounts of some of your favorites in the future.

HW: 298   SW:263  CW:139   RNY 8/1/12

Carmen C.
on 8/4/12 11:50 pm
RNY on 08/08/12

I am having surgery Wedesday also.... I am going through the same thing... I have slowly over the past 6 months - been learning to say "no" but still managed to gain 10 pounds... Now as surgery is wednesday - I am getting more serious about.. it.. knowing this is going to be my life.. GOOD LUCK

Had RNY on 8/8/2012- revision from Gastric sleeve in 12/2008-  
LOST 5.8 POUNDS POST-OPT

phillejackson
on 8/5/12 1:26 am - DC
RNY on 08/15/12 with
 I'm having surgery on 8/15, and I started opti-fast on 8/1 before that I can went all out having foods I know I won't have again. Weird it was like saying goodbye to an old friend that was dying or something. I was actually a bit emotional, a few of my friends took me to Ruth Chris STeak House for a "foodbye". I'm sticking with the optifast now so hard, but I'm sticking with it.
Most Active
Recent Topics