Drinking (Alcohol)

Emily P.
on 8/5/12 3:19 am - Southgate, MI
I do not drink.
I do not drink.
I do not drink.

WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE SUCH AN ISSUE WITH THIS STATEMENT?

Yes, I used to drink.  No, I didn't have a "problem", I'm not an Alcoholic... I was required to stop drinking prior to surgery, couldn't drink for 9 months after, and well... I never started back up.  I have no desire to drink, and well... that's that.  I just don't.

Again, my question- WHATS EVERYONES MAJOR FREAKING PROBLEM WITH THIS? 

The best part, is my JOB... I am a bartender.  So, now and then, I will try a new booze or beer that we get in.... but TRY is the key word.  I have a couple sips, to see what it tastes like (so I can acurately describe to you the customer....) but that's that.  I don't get drunk, I don't have any desire to be drunk....  People who want to buy me drinks get offended when I decline... Some of them get outright rude about it.   

I've lost friends over my non-drinking.  I don't get invited to do things with a few "friends" anymore, and it hurts.  WTF?  Im still the same person, I still want to hang out... I still want to laugh and have a good time... and the bonus... I CAN DRIVE US ALL HOME SAFELY....

Anyone else have issues with people unwilling to accept your choice to no longer drink? 
It's not all glitter and rainbows.  

hedrider
on 8/5/12 3:21 am - Midlothian, TX
 Amen.  I don't drink either.  It seem some people find that completely strange.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

wendydettmer
on 8/5/12 3:24 am - Rochester, NY
i don't drink either. i'm lucky i guess, no one seems to have an issue with it. I'm sorry your friends are giving you grief over it. it should really be a non issue.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

melbee
on 8/5/12 3:28 am, edited 8/5/12 3:29 am
VSG on 10/17/12
I don't drink anymore either- I used to, but I made a choice not to anymore. Not cause I was a alcoholic (though college years was sketchy) - just don't want to waste time with a hangover, (or wondering if I did something stupid after a few)

I get that "look" when I say I don't drink. You know... that "look".

I agree, sometimes people act like you're a big dud. No fun charlie. UGH!
Emily P.
on 8/5/12 3:36 am - Southgate, MI

It's just SO DUMB.   I'm 32 years old, not 21... I don't see why some of the people I know, or come across still think that drinking is the ONLY way to enjoy your evening..

One thing that was said recently..... which REALLY got to me......  I was out with some friends after their bowling league.  It was close to 12am... I was headed home. 

As I said goodbye to a girlfriend, Alex... She introduced me to the people she was talking to.... "Hey, this is Emily... She hates us now because she doesn't drink anymore"  all I could say was "Hi"..... It hurt me so bad.  I don't hate anyone.  I was tired.  It was late, I had to work the next morning....

I know that I shouldn't hold onto these types of remarks, but how the hell don't you?! 
It's not all glitter and rainbows.  

Relic_Goddess
on 8/5/12 3:50 am - Macon, GA
RNY on 03/13/12
People like this need to have a soft lecture. remind them that's its not about the alcohol. It's about the companionship. I have also had this problem, and the conversation is a 50/50 shot.

I have to explain that I had surgery, and therefore I really can't drink more than shot glass worth of beer. And that seems like such a waste when all I want is to have a good time with them, catch up etc. Alternatively, explaining that drink could cause acute liver failiure usually gets them off my back.

Alternatively, you could suggest group outings in which you are in control of the settings. Other than that I have nothing, I hope some of this helps.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/5/12 3:58 am

with friends like that who needs enemies?
BTW - IMO it is time for you to find new - mature friends.
Naf said.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

exohexoh
on 8/5/12 4:02 am - West Chester, PA
 i can't believe that customers get upset! what about bars that don't let their bartenders drink while working, how would they react to that? 

friends that don't understand and don't deserve to be called friends. mine surprised me with how supportive they were when i wasn't drinking right after surgery. getting me water any time they went up to the bar, etc. no one tried pushing anything on me or left me out of plans. i do drink now but not nearly as much as i used to, but i think that has to do with getting older for me. 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/5/12 4:38 am - OH
I have been on blood thinner since I was 17 years old, and it gets all out of whack if you drink alcohol, so I have never been a drinker (maybe once a year I have something alcoholic... But I never even fini****).  I have never had anyone take issue with me choosing not to drink, but I don't really socialize with very many people who are heavy drinkers, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Scaura
on 8/5/12 4:51 am - Fort Collins, CO
 I've never been much of a drinker, maybe 4-5 drinks a year.  I've never been drunk in my entire life.  I hate the taste of beer and wine is nasty.  I like super sugary "girly" drinks that don't much taste like alcohol.  Since I can't have those anymore, I pass.  I did have a few sips of someone's Crown and Diet Coke a few weeks ago and it was ok I guess.  I am just too damn cheap to spend $7 on a drink though.

Since I have never been much of a drinker, my work buddies love it!  I can always drive home and they can have as much as they want.  I don't get people that think it is not ok to just not be a drinker but still want to hang out.  I am stable enough to be able to let loose and have a good time without alcohol; some folks are not I guess.

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 293 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?