Protein without Shakes

alwaysbrandi
on 8/5/12 5:07 am - NY
RNY on 07/03/12
I'm 5 weeks out. I've tried every combination of whey egg soy protein powder milk lactaid soy milk water possible. They all give me explosive 6-10 times a day diarrhea.

I give up. My Bari center wants us to get at least 60g of protein a day. I can eat eggs, soft cheese, refried beans, avocado, yogurt. I'm not too great with meat but I can eat Turkey chili. I'm just really struggling.

Any advice?

HW : 320 - SW : 284 - Surgeon's GW : 169 - My GW : 140

exohexoh
on 8/5/12 5:11 am - West Chester, PA
 that early it's hard to get enough protein without shakes especially when you're having issues with meat. is that having one shake or multiple? if i have more than 1 a day i have some bathroom issues, but if i keep it at 1 i'm okay

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

brandymc24
on 8/5/12 5:11 am - CA
RNY on 06/07/12
 Do you have a powder version? If so I mix my powder in my yogurt. I eat tuna just so I can get my protein. Its 13 grams for 4 oz I usually eat 2 oz at a time.

wendydettmer
on 8/5/12 5:16 am - Rochester, NY
greek yogurt is a great source of protein. if you are eating meat, canned tuna is good too. what brands of protein have you tried? there are literally hundreds out there.

are you using any kind of sugar alcohols with them or sugar substitutes? those can cause issues for a lot of people

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

MBsRNY
on 8/5/12 5:22 am - Baltimore, MD
Get some Unjury unflavored protein and add a tablespoon to everything else you eat. That'll add about 4 grams of protein to yogurt, chili, etc. And as long as the food isn't really hot when you add it, it's undetectable.

Also try unjury chicken broth flavored protein, either straight as hot chicken broth or adding a tablespoon of it to other complimentary foods (mashed potatos, turkey chili, etc.

Pupcake !.
on 8/5/12 5:30 am - Stranded in, IA
 What are you mixing it with?

I have always done 100% whey (differentt brands over the years)   Mixed with water and ice and blended in the Magic bullet.  Never added anything besides instant coffee.

Perhaps you are mixing with milk and it is too much for your body.

Good luck

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Cherokeesage
on 8/5/12 5:59 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I have the same problem and have spent a lot of money trying different brands from powders to premix.  We counted up the different brands the other day and it has been near 30.  And, when someone post about one that I've not tried then I buy it.   I bought a sample box post op at my surgeons office that had several brands, ordered samples on line and bought in local stores.  I've tried again now that I am further out and still have the problem. 

At 5 mos I can drink one a day as long as it is mixed without milk not even the  lactaid milk that I used preop.  The one a day still causes some issues as it goes through my digestive system (slight cramping).  If I start getting diarrhea then I skip the drink a couple of days.  I'm going to discuss this with my Dr at my 6 month checkup to make sure I'm not causing any harm to my digestive system drinking something that obviously causes some distress.

I do better when  I use unflavored powder and mix it with other foods. Plus, plain nonfat Greek yogurt with splenda and blueberries.  (I don't like  GY but tolerate this for the xtra protein.)  I also have been able to tolerate some prepackaged products that have  protein in them  (oatmeal, cereal, chip type protein,  hot chocolate, broth/soup, jello).

I order these online from the different bariatric stores.  I am now able to eat more protein foods so it is getting easier. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Cherokeesage
on 8/5/12 6:12 am, edited 8/5/12 6:12 am
RNY on 02/24/12
Also,  I do well using unflavored Syntrax Nectar Medical Whey Protein Isolate one scoop at a time added throughout the day to food and drink.  It has 10gm of protein per scoop which is less than brands like GNC.  The less protein powder plus spreading it out during the day with food and drink  has kept me from getting diarrhea and cramps.   

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Zeigled
on 8/5/12 8:26 am - Parkton, MD
5 weeks out is very early.  For ME - I didn't worry too much about the protein intake early out. I tried to get in what I could but didn't sweat it.  I focused on getting fluids in but didn't worry about the protein.  It didn't seem to bother me (blood work good, etc).  Good luck.
HW 357 SW 341   

PositivelyPammy
on 8/5/12 10:09 am - CO
RNY on 07/16/12

I'm 3 weeks out and I tell ya, you're right! It's so difficult to get all the protein in.  My doctor only requires 45 grams of protein on the "soft/moist food" stage.  I can get close sometimes, but usually I'm pretty off.

I drink Zero Carb CLEAR Isopure protein drinks (avail at GNC).  It's a 20 oz bottle, but has 40 grams of protein.  I usually just drink half the bottle a day.  It get's me close to 60 grams a day.  Or I add Unflavored Nectar Whey Protein powder to my liquidy foods (turkey chili, beans, yogurt) or to my flavored water or tea.  It's 10 grams of protein per scoop & the scoop is pretty big.  It doesn't add much, but for those times when I'm slighly off, I'll do it.

My husband gets sick with most protein shakes too, but he found Isopure low carb 100% whey protein powder.  It's the ONLY one he can drink without getting sick.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views