7 months out - How much " a cup or even 2 cups per meal?

Darcy S.
on 8/5/12 2:01 pm - Clinton, CT
If you are 7 months out or more how much should you be eating? I can't find my nut info and I'm wondering how much I should be eating. I eat tons of different beams, veggie salads, fruits and meats.

Today I had almost 2 cups total of an edamame salad and chicken salad. The 2 cups included the yummiest cantaloupe too. Is 2 cups total for a meal way too much?

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

Lady Lithia
on 8/5/12 2:14 pm
My doc had us on half-cup meals up to 6 months out, and working our way up to full-cup meals by 18 months.

Sounds like a lot of food.

I only barely started getting "full" signals from my pouch from 6 months to 9 months out, andd I had to step back what I was eating to 1/3rd of a cup for a while

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Rose_Queen
on 8/5/12 2:58 pm - OR
RNY on 05/10/12
 How do we measure a cup or 1/2 cup of food? Are people putting all of their food in a measuring cup amd then putting it on a plate? I eyeball what I think I can eat and then eat until I'm full - but I've wondered each time I've read it how people know they are eating 1/2 cup or a cup.

HW (Jan 2012): 308    SW (May 2012): 275       CW: 145   GW: 135  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/5/12 3:10 pm - OH
I never measured anything.  My surgeon's info included approximate sizes of various portions (e.g., 3 oz of beef/chicken/etc. is about the size of a deck of cards, one ounce is about the size of a golfball, a cup is about the size of a baseball, etc.)  so I utilized that and just followed the protein first rule and then added bites of side dishes until I felt full.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Rose_Queen
on 8/5/12 3:45 pm - OR
RNY on 05/10/12
 Thanks, Lora! I guess people must be estimating the portion size on their plates to determine if they are eating a cup or 1/2 cup or more. I follow the same guidelines you do: I eat protein first, take bites of veggie side dishes and stop when I'm full. I don't know how much I'm eating, except if I put my piece of fish on the scale first, I guess. I track my food with my fitness pal and have to guess sometimes on there, but oh well.

As far as the original post, I don't know! I'm just barely 3 months out from my surgery and I ate just under 3 oz of salmon for lunch with a few bites of tomato today. And haven't been hungry since (but did eat some protein ice cream this evening).
flyingwoman
on 8/5/12 3:50 pm
 I know the volume of all the dishes I use.

For a very long time, I prepared most of my meals in eight ounce ramekins. I knew if they were full it was a c, half full, half cup. I have measures the volume of my bowls, and usually eyeball salad ingredients, and use a scale for meat/fish.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
ShebasMom
on 8/6/12 1:33 am, edited 8/6/12 1:35 am
Revision on 07/05/16
I had a hard time judging the quantity of my food. I purchased 8 oz kiddie bowls from Walmart and use those to measure my food. I put my veggie on the bottom and my meat on top.
After 6 months, I was allowed to have 3/4 cup and can increase to 1 cup after a year.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

poet_kelly
on 8/5/12 7:32 pm - OH
At that point I was supposed to be eating 3/4 cup to one cup.  Two cups does sound like kind of a lot to me.  Now, I may have been eating more than one cup of salad then.  I currently eat about one cup, sometimes one and a half, depending on the food, and I can eat at least two cups of salad, probably more sometimes, because lettuce is mostly water, you know.

But what's important is how much you are supposed to be eating.  If you aren't sure about your plan, call your surgeon or dietician.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Rose_Queen
on 8/5/12 8:45 pm - OR
RNY on 05/10/12
 HI Kelly,

Just a quick question about cup portion size: do you measure each cup of food out to know how much you are eating? I'm just curious because I'm not sure of my cup size here - I don't put my meal in a 1/2 cup or 1 cup measuring cup to know. Besides doing that or eyeballing it like Lora said, how will I know how many cups I'm eating?

Thank you!!!

HW (Jan 2012): 308    SW (May 2012): 275       CW: 145   GW: 135  

poet_kelly
on 8/5/12 8:48 pm - OH
Most of the time I measure, yeah.  Now, if I'm at a restaurant, I don't carry  my measuring cup with me, so then I estimate how much I'm eating.  But I have learned I am not really that good at estimating and it's easy for me to eat a little too much and end up feeling sick if I don't measure.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 419 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 101 views
Forum Search Error & 404