1st day of diet

Beth B.
on 8/6/12 10:44 am - Fayetteville, NC
Wow, what a day!  As most of you know I am on the cabbage soup diet....I tried and just cant stomach it.  I called the nurse at my doctor's office and she told me she undestood and to try to eat the things that are in the soup seperate....i.e. cabbage...green peppers, tomatoes.  I have been so hungry today and now have a bad headache.  I did come home and cook the cabbage I had left over from the soup.  She also explained that they wanted to get my potassium up for the surgery. I guess that explains why I am not on the protein shake...but I had a protein shake today at work because I was so hungry.  I hope I haven't sabotaged my diet already by doing that.  Tomorrow will be easy as I can have vegetables and the next day veggies and fruit...but Thursday will be a bad day...glad I am off that day and go for my pre-op appointment.  

But I got really upset at work today as someone had left some ice cream cake from the weekend and everyone was having a piece...I was ok with that...but one of the guys came up to me and put the plate in my face and inhaled and said aw...and he did this 3 times...it has me down tonight and worried if I am strong enough for this. 

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

Beth
GraceGirl
on 8/6/12 10:48 am
I dont understnd why they would have you on that cabbage soup diet. That sucks, I would rather the protein shakes. Isnt that a fad diet?

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

poet_kelly
on 8/6/12 10:49 am - OH
Yes, it is a fad diet.  She said her dietician told her they recommended it to her because her potassium is low,, but I don't know why they would recommend a fat diet like that instead of just recommending she take a potassium supplement.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 8/6/12 10:48 am - OH
I'm sorry you've having a hard time.  I wonder why they don't just have you take a potassium supplement and do a high protein diet.  That would make more sense to me.  I don't think you're sabotaging anything by having a protein shake today - I think you'll be healthier going into surgery if you get some protein.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Beth B.
on 8/6/12 10:56 am - Fayetteville, NC
I thought about having a shake every day even though it is not on my diet...what do you guys think?  Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 8/6/12 10:59 am - OH
I guess the "right" answer here is to talk to your surgeon about it.  I think if it was me, I would ask about taking a potassium supplement and drink a protein shake, personally.

GraceGirl
on 8/6/12 10:53 am, edited 8/6/12 10:54 am
www.livestrong.com/article/380931-is-the-cabbage-soup-diet-unhealthy/

The part under nutrition is quite disturbing seeing as usually there is not much nutrition in the few weeks after surgery.

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

Beth B.
on 8/6/12 10:57 am - Fayetteville, NC
On August 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM Pacific Time, GraceGirl wrote:
www.livestrong.com/article/380931-is-the-cabbage-soup-diet-unhealthy/

The part under nutrition is quite disturbing seeing as usually there is not much nutrition in the few weeks after surgery.

I am just on the cabbage soup diet for pre-op...I couldn't do it after surgery and that is for sure....
GraceGirl
on 8/6/12 11:05 am, edited 8/6/12 11:06 am
No i know....I'm saying that the first 1-2 weeks AFTER surgery generally people are on liquids and or  full liquids not too much nutrients take in at this point besides supplementing protein and our multi's
Have you asked your Surgeon if you can supplement in protein shakes?

Co workers often do this cabbage soup diet they usually end up not feeling well very gassy and having bathroom issues.

I hope you have good luck with it tho.

GraceGirl
on 8/6/12 11:11 am
Gosh I hope you dont think im picking apart your plan.... just concerned about your proteins we all know how important it is to stay on top of this stuff :)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics