Maybe I'm really NOT a WLS failure. . .

Turtle Lynn
on 8/8/12 1:56 am, edited 8/8/12 2:06 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with
 ........because the RNY is working for me!  

Yeah, that was kind of random, but even though I was successful temporarily with the Band I still felt like such a failure, like geez, I can't even manage to get weight loss surgery right, I'm such a loser, I deserve to be fat, miserable and unhealthy!

I am 4.5 lbs away from my lowest Band weight of 187 lbs. . .and I am not yet 3 months out from RNY. . .this blows my mind!!!!!  I am shrinking out of clothes left and right. . .ummm yeah,  bras too, let me tell you how bad THAT sucks. . .waaaahhhhhh......okay, done whining. Depending on the cut, I am in either a 38D or 36DD bra, down from a 44DD pre-surgery.....that's a BIG drop!!!!! (Yes, I know this is an ongoing complaint and not everyone sympathizes , but that's okay)

I am in XL shirts, even some 16/18 shirts, and mostly size 14 jeans, yup, I said it, JEANS. . .not the stretchy kind either!  In skinny/stretchy jeans I am in a Juniors 15-17....O-M-G JUNIORS!!!! Aaaaand my favorite pair of Juniors 17s that I wore religiously when I was this weight previously are TOO BIG and I can't keep them up. . .(please refer to my prior postings about me having a pancake butt and needing to buy one off of Ebay )..........sooooooo it looks like I need to find a NEW favorite pair. . okay, maybe I have, they are a 15 in Juniors, light gray skinnies, and cute as can be.. . I uhhhh sort of stole them from my 15-yo daughter 

I go back in September for my 3-month visit with my surgeon.  He likes you to have lost at least 25% of your excess weight at that point. . .wow, really?!!?!?  Cuz I thought I was losing SLOW and here I'm at almost the 50% mark of excess weight lost..... in 10 weeks!!!!!!!  Not looking a gift horse (or RNY) in the mouth, just VERY grateful that I am doing something right and am not a WLS failure.  Having felt that way for so long, you sometimes check, double check and triple check yourself and STILL don't believe it to be true. Especially when you have a surgeon telling you that "it's not the Band, it's you".  Ummm, NO, it was the reflux that caused you to EMPTY my band, so I don't have a properly functioning Band!!!!  (Edit -- This was my Band surgeon, not my current surgeon)

Now, am I worrying about the future and maintenance?. . .yup, sure am, because that's what I do lol.  THAT was the hard part last time, maintaining my weight without the Band, but this time around I have a tool that is actually working, so say a prayer,  do a happy dance, cross your fingers and toes and hit me with some fairy dust  that I will be able to maintain my success, and not fail my tool in the future when I am out of the "honeymoon" phase!

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

SoCaPinkLady
on 8/8/12 2:03 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
Great!!!!  Keep yp the good work!!

Lori                               

Turtle Lynn
on 8/8/12 2:05 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Thank you!!!!! 

courtwillbehealthy
on 8/8/12 2:10 am - burlington, VT
 Keep up the good work hon :) 
Turtle Lynn
on 8/8/12 2:28 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Thank you!!!! 

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 8/8/12 2:15 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I "almost" feel like a WLS failure , I am 9 lbs. from my lowest weight with the band ( I was there for about 10 minutes) and have lost only 2.5 lbs in the last TWO months.
I am grateful for RNY also , but as someone who has lost 100 lbs or more (160) more than once in my life to only gain it all or most of it back. I am "only" 25-35 lbs away from where I want to be....wish the weight was just falling off...but not that lucky
I WANNA BE UNDER 200 !!!
Sounds like you are doing great , I am so happy for you , it is pretty exciting !!

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Turtle Lynn
on 8/8/12 2:43 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Thank you!!!! 

I'm sorry you feel anything close to that, it's such a crappy feeling, isn't it? 

You are only 9 lbs away from your lowest band weight?  THAT IS GREAT!!!!!!!!  You will get there!!!!

I have read some of your posts, and you have said previously that the weight loss is definitely slower this time around and I totally get your frustration with that. . .2.5 lbs in 2 months is actually in the healthy range, and isn't considered "slow". . .we just had a discussion with a Dietitian at our support group about this.  There were a few people complaining about losing weight too slow. She, however,  was absolutely thrilled with people losing 1/2-lb per week (which you are averaging just above that it sounds like) because it is a healthy rate of loss.  When you look at it that way, it can give you a different perspective.  

I know you wish the weight was just falling off, shoot, how many of us have wished we could take a pill and just "wake up skinny".....ummmm, guilty!!!!!!   As frustrating as it is though, YOU are losing at a healthy rate and you are getting there!!!!!!!

You will be under 200 soon and I will be happy dancing for you as soon as I see your post!!!!! Slow and steady wins the race, and you are almost there!!!!  You are getting closer every day, just keep on keeping on and doing your thing!  We are all here cheering for ya!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/12 2:17 am
RNY on 05/07/07 with
Great work! 

I almost chose the Band too and then after more thinking decided it probably would not work for me and now I'm very certain I made the right choice for myself. There's a reason there's a variety of surgeries out there!
Turtle Lynn
on 8/8/12 2:53 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Thank you!!!! 

Boy did you dodge THAT bullet lol, I'm glad you decided to go with RNY rather than the Band.  I feel so bad for all of the people I see and hear that have problems from it.  

I wish I had just gone with RNY 6 years ago instead of the band, but hindsight and all that lol.  I wasn't very assertive back then and just went with what my (than) surgeon suggested.  Knowing what I know now, having approximately 140 lbs to lose at that time, the RNY would have been a much better choice for me.  (The DS wasn't even an option back then)  At least I am fixed now, my band is gone and I have my RNY and so far things are going well.  I'm very grateful that I was able to have revision surgery!

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/12 3:10 am
RNY on 05/07/07 with
Well, I had 230lbs to lose.... so... not to bash the Band because it is a great choice for many people... but 230lbs? C'mon. I was just scared to death of major surgery. I said I was going under on an operating table no matter what so they better make this crap permanent. LOL.