Has anyone gotten an ulcer from using Voltaren Gel?

rbb825
on 8/8/12 3:24 pm - Suffern, NY
I had an accident in my apartment and hurt hip and right leg really badly.  I actually tore a gluteul muscle causing severe tendonits and bursitis in the same hip - plus almost breaking my leg, thank goodness it didnt break but it feels like it did most days.

My pain management doctor gave me the voltaren gel (NSAID) since I said I wouldnt take any other NSAIDS and we are trying to avoid steroids due to problems with my adrenals and pituitary but if I have to, I will get a steroid injection.  He promised me that the gel just goes into the skin and doesnt penetrate systemically therefore not causing ulcers.  I disagreed but he was very knowledgeable about the other NSAIDS and how they affect the GI tract including IV toradol - he even said that toradol is really potent, so that made me think he was right.

Well, I used it for one week so far - and  I already have burning pain in my stomach.  At first I thought I was hungry which I thought was strange since I haven't been hungry for almost 4 years since the day before my Gastric bypass.  I eat because I have to but never because  I am hungry but for the past 4 days, I have a feeling like I am always hungry - a gnawing feeling.  I had 3 or 4 ulcers preop that I remember and I tend to think years ago when I used to take prescription arthritis meds, I had even more - so I know what they feel like.

I will call my Gastro doctor tomorrow to have an Endoscopy but was wondering if anyone else got an ulcer from the gel.

thanks

Dave Chambers
on 8/8/12 4:08 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Prilosec of Nexium may help the issue while using this product. My wife had a 1980 gastric surgery, revised to a "modified" RNY in 2008.  She has severe back issues and gets a tube of the Voltaren every few weeks.  My wife hasn't had any ulcer issues, and from what I read, only about 5% of the NSAID gets into your blood stream, as it's a topical.  If you are "ulcer prone", then yes I'd discuss it with your doctor. I know my RNY surgeon has given some scripts for Celebrex to a few post ops for chronic pain issues, BUT it's in a strict protocol usage with Prilsec EVERY TIME Celebrex is used.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

DebsGiz
on 8/9/12 3:53 am - FL
Hey there,

Would you please post further after speaking with your doctor today.

I am also on this gel after suffering a knee injury six weeks ago.  I realize it's an NSAID; however, because it's topical I was not really concerned until I read your post.

You're be doing me a tremendous favor if you passed on what your doctor advises.

Thanks!!
rbb825
on 8/10/12 9:39 am - Suffern, NY
I actually didnt speak to my doctor because it was really weird the next day, the burning was gone.  I did decide to stop the voltaren for a week and see what happens and I will start it again on Monday.

If you dont have any history of ulcers or severe reflux, I wouldnt worry at all.  I do know from my research that very little gets into the blood stream and that is why my pain management doctor gave me the gel - it goes on the skin and into the joint where the pain is but very little penetrates to the bloodstream.  I am hoping that I just had a few really bad stomach days but I will see next week when I restart it.

You also want to make sure you are taking it with a PPI  - nexium, protonix, prevacid, prilosec - I take protonix 2 times per day.

If you have a knee injury = there are also other possible treatments for you that wont bother your pouch - steroid injection, synvisc = these are both types of injections that really work..  Have you gone to physical therapy? What exactly did you do to your knee?  Is there a possibilty of surgery?

I wish you luck and hope you get better'

DebsGiz
on 8/10/12 11:50 am - FL
Thanks so much for the information.

I'm almost embarrassed to tell you how I injured my knee...

I was actually cleaning some cobwebs off the screen above my pool, misstepped and fell in the pool.  Not a big deal one would think since there is plenty of water in a pool; however, the way I stepped off the edge, one foot cleared, but the other not so much and my knee slammed the edge of the pool on my fly by.

I do have an appointment on Monday to see my doctor again.  When it first happened, he took an xray to make sure I had not broken or fractured anything, but said until the swelling went down he would not really be able to do much else but keep me as comfortable as possible.

While the knee is much better, it's been six weeks and there is still some pain when I pivot, so I'm going to request an MRI to see if I've done any damage. 

Doctor said he thought I may have pulled or torn a ligament, and he may be right, but I want to know for certain what exactly is wrong with the knee if anything.  I'm just too active to not be able to do those things I enjoy.

Anyhow, thank you (an in oodles and bunches) for the response as it is so tremendously appreciated.

DEB
Waysta
on 8/9/12 5:28 am - TX
 I used Voltaren for a limited time for a shoulder injury.......I questioned my dr. About it and he seemed to think it would be fine....I have had no problems, but would love to know what your gastro dr says about it.  Good uck and keep us informed.
Slow and steady !!!!  Have a Blessed Day !!!!!!                             
Dave Chambers
on 8/9/12 6:26 am - Mira Loma, CA
My wife has used the Voltaren topical gel for about 1 1/2 years, with no issues.  The woman that posted admitted she had 3 or 4 ulcers as a preop, so she may have other issues that may make her more susceptible to it.  If you've used it for some time without issues, I'd pay attention to unusual symptoms for now, but not give it up for pain releif.  Her docs opinion may not apply to other post ops.  Every patient is not identical, nor how they react to specific medications.  I have a personal issue with Cipro, it cuases me severe diarrhea and I cannot use it. Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Paul C.
on 8/9/12 7:16 am - Cumming, GA
 All NSAIDs have the possibility based on the systemic nature of the drug, some are more likely than others to cause Ulcers.

I never take NSAIDs without consulting my GI who has treated me through 3 bleeding Ulcers when I was in my first year post-op none NSAID related.  I too was just prescribed Voltaren gel, and I did consult with my GI on using it and I was cleared to use it temporarily while also taking Nexium.  

With the Nature of the NSAID affecting the stomach lining the addition of the PPI will reduce acid producting and minimize even further the chance of an Ulcer.  Probably to late for you now but.

If you haven't already see a GI and get a script for Nexium or prefferably Protonix and carafate.  The carafate will coat your stomach insulating the ulcer from the stomach acids while the PPI will reduce production.  Protonix is my number 1 PPI as it only takes a few hours to really start working, in pill form  IV is real fast.

Sorry to hear you have the Ulcer but having gone through 4 of them, if you get the meds you will be back to normal in no time.

Good Luck
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
rbb825
on 8/10/12 9:52 am - Suffern, NY
thanks for posting and especially for all the information.  I am actually familiar with all the ulcer information and the necessity of taking any and all NSAIDS with a PPI.  Due to my history of ulcers and severe reflux preop, I am on Protonix 2 times per day just as a precaution - havent had any reflux or ulcers since.

Knock on wood, I think this was a false alarm.  My stomach feels better for now.  Just in case, I stopped the voltaren for a week and will restart it to see if that ist he cause.  I will call my GI doctor before restarting though.

thanks again and hopefully I will stay ulcer free when I go back on the voltaren.  I will keep everyone psted.

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 8/9/12 8:04 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
It is very unlikely that it is the Volteran gel , I have used it and the pharmacist looked it up and you only absorb about 10% , with Pennsaid that goes deeper into tissue you absorb about 30% , I have done it all , ended up doing steroid injections...SEVERAL of them and am due for more
I would take something to settle your stomach OR stop the gel for a few days and see if it goes away, you may be very sensitive to it ( but I doubt it****heat....butt muscle is hard to heal , and it is attached to everything, legs/knees/stomach...and tail bone !!!  this could be a l-o-n-g recovery.
I really hope you feel better soon !!!  what a pain in the butt  

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics