Depression post-surgery

mg220
on 8/10/12 7:49 pm
RNY on 08/08/12
Did any of you feel depressed post surgery, even as early as 2 days out? I am curious because I miss being able to eat whatever i want when i want and i guess its making me a little depressed at times. Please tell me it does get better and if you experienced this, at what point it got better for you. Thank YOU, Meg
Meg

Surgery Date: August 8th, 2012
HW: 285 / Surgery Day Weight: 274 / CW: 237.5 / Goal Weight: 160

"BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD"
-GANDHI

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/12 8:00 pm - FL
RNY on 05/14/12
 I definitely did. I cried for weeks after surgery... I just kept thinking "I want to be normal and eat." I'm almost three months out now and it's just recently that I've gotten over that. As I see the weight come off I'm finding it easier to not eat things. When my friends have something yummy I just think "Do you want that food right now which you know will make you sick, or do you want to be skinny?" I guess that sounds rediculous but it's working for me so far. 

Regardless, it's totally normal to feel depressed. You just made a HUGE life change and you're going to have to get used to it with time. If it gets worse you should think about finding a therapist to talk to. They're really helpful!
BeansOnToast
on 8/10/12 8:12 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 10 days out from surgery and I've been depressed and crying every single day since I woke up from surgery. Everyone keeps saying it gets better "eventually", so I guess hold onto that. But I'm still wishing I never had this surgery at all. I sure hope that "eventually" gets here soon for both of us!
fireflymkz76
on 8/10/12 8:12 pm - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12
 Yes, I am still in it
check out my blog: http://alwaysl8totheparty.blogspot.com/      
Emily P.
on 8/10/12 8:12 pm - Southgate, MI
OMG....

Its been a roller coaster from hell for me.

Fasten your seatbelt.

read my signature.  LOL 
It's not all glitter and rainbows.  

Leslie M.
on 8/10/12 8:58 pm - AL
Oh yes!  Lots of mood swings.  It is normal.....unfortunately!
juan L.
on 8/10/12 9:30 pm - TX
it will get better as time goes by I'm like 7months out already but i had it tuff i spent like my first month in the hospital very sick after my surgery you will get challenged mentally physically and spiritedly to because i did but with a good supporting wife, Friend and family you can make it. i use to tell my wife that i just wanted to be normal again i don't feel like eating like a baby I'm a grown man but she always reminded me why i got the surgery in the first place and it was for my kids and that what kept me strong so just stay strong and your faith stronger trust me you going to be asking god for a lot of help that you can get  so good luck
alwaysbrandi
on 8/10/12 9:46 pm - NY
RNY on 07/03/12
I don't call it depression. I call it mourning. I miss food. It was my friend, it is what comforted me and consoled me when nothing else could. The fact that I don't know what to do without it to self soothe is proof to me that RNY was a good choice. Food was not my friend. I was 300 lbs. It was killing me. I'm almost 6 weeks out and still cry a lot and break down. I don't know how to deal with life anymore but, I do know I want the opportunity to live it and that's enough to keep me going. Your favorite foods will all be there in a year or two when you are not their slave, when you can eat the in moderation or tweak recipes to make them healthier without feeling deprived. Food was killing us all and we're fighting back. I want to live not just exist. This is a battle, but it's one that we have the tools to win. I know it's hard. No one that hasn't been through it could possibly understand. I have faith it'll be ok. I've had some bad complications and have been back in the hospital 3 times. But, for once in my life I actually believe things are going to change. If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done. I want this. It sucks and it hurts and it's sad and it's so hard. But, I want it. We all do. Things will be ok. For both of us. We just have to keep fighting.

HW : 320 - SW : 284 - Surgeon's GW : 169 - My GW : 140

Kelly M.
on 8/11/12 10:17 am - TX
I like what you said Brandi. I have a question. While you might be missing the food are you starving or just cant eat normal food? Waiting for surgery date... Excited and nervous Thanks for all help.
alwaysbrandi
on 8/11/12 11:16 am - NY
RNY on 07/03/12
I'm not physically hungry. I can't really feel hunger or fullness yet. But, it's not like before surgery I only ate when I was hungry. I ate when I was bored, happy, sad, tired, etc. All those things still exist. That's where head hunger comes into play and it feels like psychological warfare sometimes lol. You'll crave things or see things you'll want to taste or a habit like watching tv or being bored will trigger an old habit of grabbing food and then you stand there and realize you can't and it really does mess with your head. I went from 284 pre op to 239 in 5 1/2 weeks. I just keep reminding myself of that and remind myself I'm not actually hungry and just have to consciously redirect myself. I'm not going to lie and say it's easy. It's been really hard for me. I just keep reminding myself that they aren't going to stop making cheeseburgers and fries and pizza anytime soon and I need to focus on my health right now. What's done is done. I'm post op. I can't undo it. So I just keep pushing through it.

HW : 320 - SW : 284 - Surgeon's GW : 169 - My GW : 140

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views