xpost: HELP-Confused on which surgery I should really have

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 8/11/12 10:38 am, edited 8/11/12 10:44 am
RNY on 09/17/12
Let me first say I had the band back in 2004 and had to have it removed for a couple of reason in 2006.  It was pure hell and I regret EVER having it. For years now I've been thinking and researching about RNY.  I've even finished all my ins. requirements and now am just waiting on them to resubmit to my ins.  But just yesterday I saw a post about regrets and how some RNYers regret that they didn't have the DS.  So I decided to research that a bit...just for curiosity.  Except now I'm confused because it sounds like a good surgery too.  What makes you a better candidate for DS vs RNY?  What's the major difference?  It looks like their diet is a more 'normal' one...is that right?  Better maintained weight loss long term?  I thought I was decided and I had come to terms with RNY and was finally calm about it....but now I'm completely thrown.  HELP!!!!!

Shannon
Chihuahuan
on 8/11/12 10:47 am - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12
I am very new to having my RNY, but I have also been pondering this subject.  I think if I had researched more, for me, I would have waitied and found someone to do the DS.   My reasoning is that I have lost my excess weight of around 200 pounds 5 times now.  The first times was through diet and exercise alone.  Here is the story if you are interested.  diet.markwhitford.com   My point of failure has been that after about a year I get just f'n SICK of going to the gym and working out at least 1.5 hours per day very hard and eating very little to maintain the weight loss.  So I discussed this issue with my doc when I got fat again and she suggested this might be a good tool for me to use for maintenance.    I think it will help but I also think that as time goes on I will have to get back to exercising all the time as well as not eating more than 1 cup of food at a time to maintain the loss.  And now that I have learned on this list that the hunger returns after time, it is kind of more scary for me.   I am not sure yet as I am only about 12.5 weeks out,  but just have a fear of that.    i think the DS would have been better since it is more mal-absortive.   RNY'ers already have to take supplements forever so really in the scope of life, what are a few more?   As one of the other posters on this list has in his signature "Don't ever trust a fart.", some of us have to follow that already so DS and the increased risk of diarrhea is not really a huge factor for me anyway.    I can't really advise you what is right for you, but these are just my thoughts.  Best luck with whichever you choose!

Mark

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/11/12 10:48 am - Baltimore, MD
 The DS is not a bad surgery but here is my HONEST opinion.

What the DS does do is produce a higher level of malabsorption. So where you have to be on top of your vitamins with the RNY, you REALLY have to be on top of them with the DS. That surgery scares me frankly.

Yes, it has a tendency to produce very skinny people. But I want healthy, not necessarily skinny. And for me, healthy is what I can stick with and so far I'm good at sticking with the RNY way of life. 

So far as day-to-day differences, DSers seem to have a more open license to eat fat. From what I see some do so in healthy ways (good fats, omega-3's and whatnot) and some use it as an excuse to eat copious amounts of bacon. Perhaps both ways are acceptable but I don't know as I haven't researched it enough.

In the end it's your decision. But both are tools that can help you get where you want to go. Both can be misused and regain can (and has) happened with both. So to me it comes down to what you are willing to stick with for LIFE. Many people think about the here and now...or what they want when they get to goal. But what about 5, 10, 15 years after that?

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/12 10:53 am
First off, contact your insurance co. to make sure they cover it.  Not all doctors do the DS and you  want to make sure you get an experienced and reputable surgeon.  Also go to the DS forum on here and make sure you research, research, research.  Other than that, I hope our DS friends will be on board today to help you.  If not, send them a private message asking them for advice. They will be happy to help you.  Best of luck, Jane  
Dave Chambers
on 8/11/12 11:33 am - Mira Loma, CA
Diabeties, high bp, cholesterol issus sleep apnea, GERD are issues that usually go into remission as RNY post op. I've heard some sleeve post ops talk about how they developed GERD post op.   DS isn't covered by most insurance companies and many surgeons don't do it.  This is a very malabsorptive procedure, and you have to be ANAL about taking your supplements. You're going to spend more on supplments too, due to the increased amounts needed. You do need lab work done more often than RNY patients.  You have to closely monitor how the vitamins are being absorbed.  As an example: I just got 6 year labs back and posted about how I finally got to over 90 on vitamin D, taking one 50K IU daily. One responder was a DS patient, who commented she had to take TWO of the same 50K IU dry D3 to keep her D labs at 80.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Neaucora
on 8/11/12 11:45 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12
 A "normal" diet should be healthy. If you are not wanting to do a healthy diet and want to keep eating sweets, fats, and junk it doesnt matter which surgery you have. If you have the DS, you will have oily stinky diarreah all the time from the crap you eat. So that might discourage you from eating some of the things. But I personally think if you are not ready to change your diet you should not have any surgery.  
a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 8/11/12 12:10 pm
RNY on 09/17/12
Neaucora, I'm pretty sure most people who go through something as extreme as surgery would want to comply and eat a healthy diet.  A healthy "normal" diet includes everything....protein, fats, and carbs.  I don't appreciate you assuming I would not be willing to comply with a healthy diet....in fact it ****** me off.  I'm not looking for a way to eat "around" a surgery.  If I were, I'd just not have one.  So, if you can't offer any constructive advice, please just keep it to yourself.

Shannon
Neaucora
on 8/11/12 1:29 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12
 I just wanted to be sure. My best friend just had RNY about a month ago and she is already cheating with anything she doesnt throw up. Its been really stressful for me, I cant believe she is doing this. So I just wanted to be sure that this person (forgot who started the post) was serious.  I'm sorry that I made you mad.  I just keep picturing Dianne eating candy, and sausages, and all sorts of bad stuff and things she is not ready for. Or should be cutting out. I apologize to you. It just scared me. 
jewel-twin
on 8/11/12 6:28 pm - Canada

I think that its nice you are worried about your friend but you need to understand this is HER journey.... And its not going to help her if you play the food police.  Your friend CAN have some sugar free candy, and she can have sausages.  You would think that things like Chicken breast would be the best choice but a lot of people can not tolerate it but dark meat chicken sits fine....

I guess what I mean is that I hope you understand that your friend will resent you and you will loose your friendship if you watch every food she puts in her mouth...if she fails her tool that is entirely her fault and as a friend your roll is to be supportive but not to say "I told you so".... this is not an easy journey for anyone.... I'm not sure if you struggle with your weight or not, but you might not ever understand what she is going through. 

Be there, be supportive, when she is around you make the choices available only healthy ones but don't police her...it just isn't nice.

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/12 12:05 pm - waukesha, WI
The DS and honestly the RNY scared the **** out of me.  I thought DS was to drastic but now after having the RNY and not getting a cure for my diabetes (the reason why I had the RNY) I would have had the DS.  I am 10 months out and I am going to have to work like hell to keep the diabetes in check.  I am also going to have to run my body really thin to keep the diabetes in check but I don't think I will get to real thin (BMI of 21 or lower) with the RNY.  I am insulin resistant like nobody has ever seen.  I had a BMI of 36 at surgery and now a BMI of 24.  Honesly, I had to gain weight to qualify for this surgery.  My diabetes is much better but I see my body become more resistant even with the weight loss.  Once I have to increase the insulin, my body will gain weight.  And yes............the DS maynot have been the answer for me as well.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 426 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 376 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 224 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics