Toddler and food

Kallen27
on 8/12/12 1:35 pm
 My son will be 2 tomorrow!!! I try to feed him heathly but its hard with a toddler not to have a little junk food in the house and i end up eating it. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me?

wendydettmer
on 8/12/12 1:46 pm - Rochester, NY
i have a 7 and a 3 year old. i don't find it hard not to have junk food, especially when they are younger. it's better to get them into the habit of eating right now. my kids eat more fruits and veggies then i do, and that's saying a lot! if you dont' have it in the house, they can't eat it and neither can you.

i do realize at first it may be a battle because you are taking away something they are used to, but they will adjust. honestly due to a health reason with my son we have never really had sweets in the house (although he can now have them), and he just learned to not have them around.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

artroxy blue
on 8/12/12 1:56 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 My daughter is almost 18 months, and she isn't a big junk food toddler. We don't keep any in the house, and she prefers yogurt, cheese sticks, fruits, some veggies, beans, bread, and cottage cheese. She recently started eating Whole Foods' Apple cereal bars, which is definitely better than nothing on some days. Yes, they're high in sugar for our diets, but that's fine for her. The only "sweets" that she'll eat on occasion are ginger snaps, Trader Joe's Cat Cookies for People and graham crackers. She loves popcorn (Newman's Own) and most cheeses, but doesn't care for any meat or cow's milk. 

Honestly, I'm so glad she hasn't developed a terrible sweet tooth. I really don't want her to go through what I've been through.
Kallen27
on 8/12/12 1:57 pm
We don't have sweets and he LOVES fruit but I do buy things like gold fish etc... I will just have to stop!

poet_kelly
on 8/12/12 1:59 pm - OH
Why is it hard not to have junk food in the house with a toddler?  I'm guessing you're thinking you need to give your toddler junk food but I suggest you rethink that.  An occasional treat won't hurt a toddler at all, but it won't hurt them not to get junk food treats, either.  And most kids are offered plenty of treats when they aren't at home, like when they go to grandma's or to preschool and it's another child's birthday or whatever.  So junk food could be something he only gets when he's not at home and it's a special occasion, and at home he could get healthy treats that are also very yummy.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kallen27
on 8/12/12 2:06 pm
He doesn't get sweets and he and does snack on yogurt and fruit and we don't keep chips in the house I just have to stop buying the goldfish and cheez its! The main reason I had this surgery was for not only myself but for my family's health

juleskar
on 8/12/12 2:09 pm
The way I avoid eating the junk food is not to have them in the house. I ave a 14yo, who wants potato chips/Doritos from time to time. She knows how important it is for me not to eat the chips, so we compromised and she gets the sour cream & onion, or the ranch flavors, which I cannot stand. I think since you have a toddler the best thing is to introduce him/her to healthy eating now, so he/she doesn't have an obesity problem later in life. When my daughter was a toddler, I put a green salad on her plate with dinner. Sometimes she ate it, sometimes not. However, it became her habit to have the salad and she asks for the salad fixings when making the grocery shopping list.
fireflymkz76
on 8/12/12 3:16 pm - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12
I have an 8 year old boy.  If I buy the junk, he will eat the junk, plain and simple.  If you are eating his snacks you are going to have to use good old fashioned will power to stop yourself.
check out my blog: http://alwaysl8totheparty.blogspot.com/      
marye140
on 8/12/12 3:17 pm - DE
Are goldfish really so terrible in moderation?   I really hope someday I can have them again.  I like to put a few of the "whole grain" ones on a salad, but I can stop at just a few.  If it is a trigger for you it may need to go, but in the grand scheme of the things you could be feeding your child there are far worse snacks.  I have little ones too.  My 7 year old knows she can get the  junk I have been banning from the house at her grandparents.  She has been begging to go to their house.   I think there is a connection.

HW: 298   SW:263  CW:139   RNY 8/1/12

wendydettmer
on 8/12/12 3:40 pm - Rochester, NY
 there is zero nutritional value to a goldfish - even with the marketing gimic of whole grain.  the worst sugary cereals on the planet are now whole grain and people think that makes them healthy - they are not.

that being said, are they the worst thing ever? probably not, but they are not nutritional, just empty carbs, fat and calories. 

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 179 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?