Sugar

Diabolique
on 8/14/12 10:13 pm - Las Vegas, NV
RNY on 09/19/12
How much is an acceptable amount of grams of sugar post op?

Some of the diet shakes/protein shakes that I have been looking at have up to 20 grams of sugar per serving/15 grams of protein. 
If I need 60 daily grams of protein I would need 4 of the shakes daily which means 80 daily grams of sugar.  That seems high to me but I honestly don't know the limits.

Any advice/tips/information would be appreciated.
Cherokeesage
on 8/14/12 10:25 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
Most surgeons or nutritionist set the amount for their patients.  Mine set 10gms sugar per meal.  I notice on here that some are higher.  I don't think I've seen anyone post 20gms per meal or at least not early out.  I personally look for protein drinks high in protein (24 or more) and also use unflavored powder to add to other foods.  The only drink I have at 15gms is my protein hot chocolate to enjoy in the evenings once in awhile. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Dave Chambers
on 8/14/12 10:31 pm - Mira Loma, CA
You're likely looking at "pre made" shakes in bottles or cans.  Isopure is what I used for over a year post op. Either zero sugar or 4-5g sugars per 25 g protein, mixed in water, or you could use milk, with higher calorie count.  It's kind of like junk food--convenient but not the best for you.  Remember, post op you have to modify your life style. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Kelly L.
on 8/14/12 10:34 pm - San Jacinto, CA
Also, if there is milk in the protein you will get sugar grams from that. be careful with the sugar it can getcha!

HW 274. CW 129

mat0174
on 8/14/12 10:57 pm
I limit my sugar intake in drinks more than anything else, the drinks are what hit the hardest, believe me, you drink too much sugar, you will pay dearly. Besides that, you really cant avoid sugar because it's in everything, talk to a diabetic *****ally keeps on their meals, what might look like a healthy plate of food can be loaded with it. But yeah, its the drinks that really bite me, though I only have dessert at Christmas time, and I'll pay for eating some of the different pies served. As a rule of thumb, I dont drink it if there's more than 7a grams per serving, and that's pretty rare that I'll have something that high, anything higher than that, and I pay dearly for it.
virvin
on 8/14/12 11:17 pm - CO
My surgeon set my max at 12 grams of sugar.  Someone suggested that I go over that and see what my personal tolerance is.  Please do NOT do that!  The reaction of your body to too much sugar is painful and NOT something you want to go through.  Besides, the whole point of going through this procedure is to lose weight and re-learn good habits..not seeing how much we can get away with. 

It is true there is sugar in a lot of things.  I never did yogurt before surgery but after surgery I started looking at it for a protein source.   Watch the sugar levels in yogurt...some are suprisingly high (20-25 grams).  It seems I can eat a candy bar for that.  Yuk.  I found Carbmaster has low sugar and great taste.  I mix in a little Kashi cereal for crunch...but remember to add up the sugar. 

As for your protein drinks...I don't think it is a good idea to have more sugar than protein.  Check out the Ensure high protein drinks.  It is good as a snack with good protein and low sugar.  I use Isopure pre-mixed protein drinks.  No sugar and 40 grams of protein.  Grape Frost and Alpine Punch are my two favorites.  I have to drink them ice cold or they don't taste the greatest.  One of the clerks told me that the powder mix is cheaper and tastes the same.  Well, apparently our ideas of "the same" are not the same.  I pay extra for the pre-mix.  If you order from Amazon.com, it actually can come up cheaper than GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.

Hope this helps some.

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

JJ_
on 8/15/12 2:47 am
That is another reason why I love the Premier Protein shakes (chocolate).  They have 30gr of protein, 160 calories and 1 gr of sugar.  

Judy
Adrianne_Dawn
on 8/15/12 8:38 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 ha! I love these shakes!! I just had my parents pick me up some more from costco! 

I also drink ISOPURE protein powder.  

I think you'll notice that the one's that are high in sugar are usually low in whey isolate protein and probably high in carbs.  They are in general not good for you. 

I'd check out VitaminShoppe or something similiar. 

If I have to much sugar I get a stomach ache and it's awful - beyond that to sweet and I gag. hahaha :) 

sugarbabyhoneypump
kin

on 8/15/12 5:13 am - IN
 Mine didn't set a carb limit.  Just told me to stay away as much as possible from it.  So not much help.  I bought a shake that has 1g of carbs  and 30g of protein per scoop. It was body fortress whey isolate (I'm missing a word in there somewhere) I got it at walmart for $22 for a two lb jar.  If I didn't have such an aversion to milky things, It would be what I'd take.
~~Sonya~~
(Roux-en-y 07/05/2012) Heighest Weight/Surgery Day Weight 240lbs     
Darcy S.
on 8/15/12 5:13 am - Clinton, CT
I love my Isopure protein powder from gnc. No or low sugar and carbs. I have one everyday in a decaf ice coffee and I love them because the vanilla taste like vanilla creamer lol.

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 313 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 313 views