Tough time Post-Surgery

mg220
on 8/16/12 5:59 pm
RNY on 08/08/12
Since having my surgery on 8/8 things have not been easy. I did pretty well the first few days but getting my protien in as well as liquids in general has been tough. I have been feeling mostly just sick and weak. This past Wednesday my mom took me to the ER because I was having trouble breathing and my heart was racing. While my mom was aranging for a wheelchair I decided to get out of the van and triped and sprained my ankle. SOOO painful!! Anyways, the ER said I was dehydrated, did lots of tests, and gave me fluids and morphine. Now I have to be on the blood thinning injections for another week because of my now limited mobility....I was doing good with the walking before that though. Its been really hard to get the fluids/protein/supplements in when I am so tierd and just want to sleep. Its so much to keep track of even with a clear mind. My mom has been great with helping me but she has now gone back to work so I am on my own in the day. Any thoughts or encouragement would be much appreciated.
Meg

Surgery Date: August 8th, 2012
HW: 285 / Surgery Day Weight: 274 / CW: 237.5 / Goal Weight: 160

"BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD"
-GANDHI

april89love
on 8/16/12 6:13 pm - NC
It will get better!! I know it doesn't feel like it now. Just trust me on this. Hope you feel better really soon!!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Dave Chambers
on 8/16/12 6:14 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Get out several water bottle and place them where YOU WILL SEE them in the morning.  The total of the bottles should be at least 64 oz-- six of the 12 oz or 4 of the 16 oz, etc.  When the day is done, all bottles should be empty.  Best idea is to take 2 sips every 15 minutes all day long. Each sip is 1 oz.  This will give you your daily fluid intake.  If you fail to get enough fluids now, you likely will be admitted for dehydration next time at the hospital.  And yes you won't think clearly, be sleepy, etc. when suffering from dehydration.  I harped on my wife about hydration when she had her old gastric surgery modified to a RNY in 2008.  Even though I stressed drinking water, she still ended up back in the hospital 10 days post op from dehydration. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/12 7:30 pm
RNY on 08/31/12
 I feel for you and will say a prayer :)
Being immobile and losing your mom's assistance must be very hard. I like what Dave said about putting out your water bottle right by the bed to see it as soon as you wake up. I have not had my surgery yet (date will be set soon, probably early Sept) but like to read up on these boards to prepare myself. I remember once what a doctor told me about being immobile. He said as you are laying there, wiggle your toes (if it doesn't hurt) as your calf muscles will "massage" a large vein you have within your calf and will help move the blood (and extra fluid you have from your injury) from the feet and get it back to the heart faster so "fresh" blood can move through. I often have swollen feet and it does work. Hope you feel better soon.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 335 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 335 views