I want to break up with my surgeon

azreggie
on 8/17/12 1:10 pm - Tucson, AZ
Ok, so here's the deal.  I had surgery 4 years ago with Dr Villarez in Phoenix, AZ at the only Center of Excellance in the state and the only hospital that my insurance would cover at the time.  He was 2 hours away but you do what you have to do.  He has left the state so I was turned over to another bariatric surgeon Dr Schlesinger.  He is 2 hours away and frankly, I don't want to make that trip twice a year anymore.  I was thinking that I could get my PCP to run my labs every 6 months and if anything occurs, surgery wise, there is now a Bariatirc center and Center of Excellance in Tucson.   My labs have been good and I am very compliant with my vitamins and following the rules and have had no complications as of yet. Any thoughts, pro and con? 

Reggie

swampwoman
on 8/17/12 1:51 pm - Hampton, NJ
The fact is the surgeon that did your surgery is no longer there, so I would go to the surgeon that is closest to you because you are doing so well.
  Today is the first day of the rest of my life!!                          
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/12 1:54 pm
I'm already there. I can order labs myself and if something goes wrong, there's two hospitals in the city (about an hour away for me, I'm very rural) with bariatric surgeons on call.

At 4 years out, I'd think more surgeons would suggest (not even require) a once a year visit if there's nothing going on.
JUSTJUNQUIES
on 8/17/12 2:28 pm - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I would think your PCP could take care of any bloodwork . I have twin daughter's who had bypass 6 years ago and have never seen their surgeon since he was 4 hours away , and he only wanted the money from the surgery , very sad really. I have hooked them up with my surgeon BUT their PCP is taking care of them unless there is a bariatric issue.

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

azreggie
on 8/17/12 3:05 pm - Tucson, AZ
Thanks for the responses, I kinda figured it was time to stop making that trip. But rolling anything around in my head, by myself can be little scary, if ya know what I mean. 

Reggie

bugsmommy
on 8/17/12 3:34 pm

Talk to your PCP, I'm pre-op but we have talked about it and at a certain point she will resume taking care of me.  She will monitor my labs after the first year.  but she is VERY bariatric friendly and even sponsors a monthly walk the Saturday after our Monthly support group meetings.  She is part of my "team" beyond just making my referal.

Hope that helps, I would break up especially since the surgeon is now not your surgeon.

Cherie

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/17/12 3:42 pm - Baltimore, MD
You're far enough out to just go through your PCP. You might want to connect your PCP to your surgeon's office for consults though.
azreggie
on 8/17/12 3:51 pm - Tucson, AZ
Good idea Nik.

Reggie

poet_kelly
on 8/17/12 3:46 pm - OH
Your PCP should be able to order your labs, but you may need to give her a list of the labs you want ordered.  There is no reason to see a surgeon twice a year at this point if you aren't having any problems.  I think most surgeons just do annual follow up appts after the first year.  But I just do my labs every six months with my PCP and she orders my B12 injections.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

azreggie
on 8/17/12 3:50 pm - Tucson, AZ
I get my labs drawn twice a year and I always give a copy to my PCP so he knows what the deal is.  I have an appointment with him next month, for my yearly, so I think I'm going to spring it on him then.

Reggie

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?