Not even a week and feeling defeated

Beth B.
on 8/19/12 1:27 pm - Fayetteville, NC
Hello everyone...had surgery last Monday and came home Wednesday.  I know I haven't done everything I was suppose to.  I have not walked as much as I should have because I feel so bad.  The soreness is gradually getting better, but Friday night I felt the twinges and woke up yesterday morning with a case of the shingles.  I just totally feel zapped. I was on 02 the entire time I was in the hospital which now my nose is giving me a fit. Living alone and depending on others to help you sucks.  Don't get me wrong, my friends are helping, just I feel bad for asking.  I need something for the sores I have developed in my nose.  And what is really frustrating is the scale hasn't moved!!!!  I know I have lost weight...but when I got home I had gained 15 lbs....I am now around what I entered the hospital...or so the scales show.   Thanks for letting me vent....

Beth
Missy A.
on 8/19/12 1:38 pm - NC
RNY on 08/17/12
I sorry Beth, you aren't feeling well. Hope your shingles clear up soon. Those hurt. As for the weight, it will come off. Just be patient. Hoping the best for you.

Missy

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

swannys22
on 8/19/12 1:55 pm - MI
You had extra fluids at the hospital so your weight went up. It will come down. I have lost 32 lbs.  since 7/23 but  I  got stuck for a week with no weight lose so I was upset. I am now moving down again. I lose one week then none the next week. Sucks but each body is diffrent and unique, It will slowly get better.
Esta F.
on 8/19/12 2:03 pm - IL
RNY on 07/25/12
It gets better!!!!!!  i had my surgery 7/25 and i'm down 32 lbs......i used to get on the scale every morning and get frustrated when there was no weight loss.  now i get on every other day instead   just keep doing what you're doing!!!!!!

dasie
on 8/19/12 2:16 pm
Bless your heart, I feel badly for you.  Doing this and living alone is difficult.  Then add the shingles on top of all this, and you are having a tough time.  I would feel the same way.

I know it is hard to ask for help, but they are your friends, and I'm sure they want to be there for you.  I assume your taking meds for the shingles?

This is my tip, but it does not work for everyone.  Because I had surgery at 54, my diet history was long and filled with triumph and failure.  That meant my emotions were all over the place, and I could become easily discouraged when dieting.  I had great success, but I could never keep it off.  The older I got the slower the loss, and I realized I became defeated much more easily.

So...when I had surgery, I did not buy or bring a scale into my home.  I weighed as little as possible.  For me I truly believe that greatly added to my success.  I knew by virtue of the surgery and physiology I would be successful if I followed my surgeon's orders and plan.  I knew I would not lose as quickly as others, so I decided to take it one day at a time, celebrate my success each night as I reviewed how I did and leave it at that.

I had so much peace doing it that way.  I know for some they have to see the results on a daily basis.  But for me I did not want the emotional ups and downs.  Now that I am in maintenance, I do weigh each and every day.  That is crucial.

It will get better.  Call those friends and come onto this site and as for help as often and as much as you need it.  That is what this site is for.

Kat1313
on 8/19/12 2:21 pm - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
Could you maybe try something like Neosporin for your nose?  Apply it with a q-tip.  That should feel soothing and help it heal.
Beth B.
on 8/19/12 2:35 pm - Fayetteville, NC
Thanks for all the kind words or encouragement and tips.  Yes, I called the doctor first thing yesterday morning and am on medication.  I just went for a 12 minute walk....so trying!

Beth
OH2012
on 8/19/12 3:12 pm - OH
Just wanted to wish you well. Feel better soon and stay encouraged.
Melyssa S.
on 8/19/12 3:35 pm - Lauderhill, FL
RNY on 06/12/12
 Wow shingles on top of this surgery is awful so sorry honey. As for the weight I would bet it is from the fluids and swelling from the surgery. Give it time and you will start dropping the weight. Saying a prayer for you. 
HW 247 SW 224 GW 140                  
Winners never quit and quitters never win. Vince Lombardi

shedo
on 8/19/12 3:43 pm
 Beth, you poor thing.  We have same surgery date. I am 40 and it has been slow. I went out today for the first time and I was wiped when I got home. Too boot you have shingles. That is an awfully terrible thing and painful. We are here for you. Please write me if you need to vent. Tomorrow will be my first day alone with two kids. I am terrified. But we will pull through this time. Call on every person around you because that is what you have to do. Hang in there. Hope youfeel better soon. 
Sherri
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 410 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 101 views