who tampered with my taste buds?

kimikim
on 8/21/12 8:51 pm - rockford, IL
 So here I was, a fat happy foodie with fully grown taste buds.  Loving the taste of juicy beef burgers

With sesame seeded buns, mustard, extra onion, proper seasons like garlic powder, salt and pepper.   French fries crisp from the fryer and hot and tasty.  Chocolate to smooth and mouth melting that you think it is Manna from heaven. 

After surgery, I do not like the taste of these things. The burger was basically…(we are all adults) sex with no grand finale!  I was seriously heart broken and dumbfounded!    Have my taste buds been tampered with while I was under the knife?  Will I ever again run in my 4 inch pumps through the valley of chocolate  cake?  Will I once again be able to gleefully play and laugh in my CK jeans in the French fry forest?  (vivid imagination and creative writing at work here)

Has anyone else lost their taste buds and do they ever come back or am I doomed, doomed I say to wander the culinary plains in support hose and old lady Velcro shoes?

Help me - 
Kimi

SoCaPinkLady
on 8/21/12 8:59 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
Yes my taste buds were altered as well. I have hopes that some will return in the future. I would like to live without many of them though as those were the ones that got me to be the size I was to begin with.

Lori                               

kimikim
on 8/21/12 9:17 pm - rockford, IL
 I don't want me taste buds to stay gone, because then i would not eat.  Dining involves sight, texture, taste, smell and presentation.  I want my taste to return. what i want the surgery to do is help me gain control my over eating and tame or control those passions for eating simply for the want of taste.  I would like to enjoy my meals with my friends and family.  to me eating with out passion or taste or pleasure is simply feeding.  Soylant Green anyone?  :-)

Kimi
MrsLitch
on 8/21/12 9:05 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Mine can stay gone as far as I'm concerned my love of taste is what sent me back for seconds and thirds not the fact that I was hungry I just liked frolicing in the land of bad food choices.

My guess is you are probably in ketosis which adds a bit of an off taste to foods when I am in it. Kind of metally even some waters.

I still enjoy a good garlic steak though! even if it is only 2 oz of it!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Cherokeesage
on 8/21/12 10:54 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
It is funny how things taste after surgery.  Even water was to salty.  G2 and Crystal Lite was yucky sweet.  And, protein drinks were nasty.  Now my taste buds have calmed down and things taste as they did preop.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

FireOpal
on 8/22/12 3:33 am
RNY on 05/15/12
I just loved your post!  My taste buds are alive and well, but, my little stomach doesn't like most of the things it liked before.  Steak is a No - I want to weep.  Chicken is barely tolerated.  I purposely avoid any white carbs because they got me where I was before the surgery.  Thank G_d for fish and vegetables (specially a ripe tomato, my fave), otherwise I would not eat anything but protein drinks.

However, I've decided that since I rearranged my innards in order to lose the weight that was killing me, I will find another way of socialize with my friends and family that doesn't involve food.  I'm not going back to the way I was, now way, no how.

If this is really what you wish, I hope your taste buds return soon and you are able to eat what you like again.

sugarbabyhoneypump
kin

on 8/22/12 7:58 am - IN
Mine have improved after about 7 weeks. Still not what they used to be. I call it "the newspaper effect". Everything tastes as good and is about as exciting to eat as newspaper would be. It's kind of cool though, because along with this, I have lost all cravings. Works for weight loss.
Wesdeforgirl
on 8/22/12 8:40 am
 I hear what you're saying-my appetite has been drastically altered as well. I am currently 4 weeks post-op. I look at it in a positive way that for the first time in a long time, perhaps ever, I am eating to live, not living to eat. 
Linda K.
on 8/22/12 5:29 pm
RNY on 08/01/12
There has been no change in mine.
happy_baker
on 8/22/12 5:36 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
 I never had much of a sweet tooth, but after surgery, it's even more absent.  I had a small bite of dark Ghiradelli earlier today, and it tasted weird. I also sampled a bit of my aunt's birthday cake over the weekend, and after one bite, it was just too much. Too sweet, too rich, too...blech. And I made the damn thing! Everyone raved about it, but my palate couldn't handle it. 

Also, pizza doesn't taste good to me anymore. It SOUNDS good, and I'll order it from time to time, but then I'm always disappointed. French fries are another--they always sound and smell good, but the taste never lives up to the hype. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics