Iron Infusions

li2006
on 8/23/12 9:15 pm, edited 8/23/12 9:36 pm - Apple Valley, MN
Hi, I am going for my first iron infusion tomorrow. Anyone else done this, and how did it go, and did it help?  I've been anemic for quite some time, and even with iron supplements, I haven't been able to get my levels decent. Just wondering who else is or has been in this boat. Thanks!

Lisa
Carmen C.
on 8/24/12 5:08 am
RNY on 08/08/12
 I get them yearly and due to have another one Monday - except to be there all day and feel very tired and Yukie next few days but after that I was a brand new person I could not believe how my iron was effecting me that way.. When I start getting fatigued I call my iron and I am due for infusion .. They do get u lots of drugs to counter act some of the side effects do have a partner to drive u home 

Had RNY on 8/8/2012- revision from Gastric sleeve in 12/2008-  
LOST 5.8 POUNDS POST-OPT

li2006
on 8/24/12 7:06 am - Apple Valley, MN
Thanks for writing. Mine is different, as I'm only going for an hour today, and for 8 weeks... I'm hoping it won't make me feel too bad ~ that's why I scheduled it for friday afternoon, just on case, give me a few days to recovery if needed. I'm glad to hear they can help with feeling better and I hope to experience that too. I just hope they can get the iv, I have trouble with those
Amy Smith
on 8/24/12 9:29 am
My infusion only took an hour, but I ended up needing some benedryll before I could leave.  I did go straight back to work and was fine.  (I shoudl tell you that I get the "itches" with ALL medication and any injection (even saline) - I will never understand, but know I need to carry benedryll with me and it clears up pretty quickly.

The infusion was not bad at all, one needle stick and a slow drip.  I felt fine.  Just take a book to read or something to do!

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

dyspatchdiva
on 8/26/12 1:52 pm - Hillsboro, OR
 I just finished a series of 5 iron infusions. They were very short appointments, however the first one was the longest. I am almost 5 years post op and was doing great until last year I had a massive loss of blood, which had to have been caused by a GI bleed. They never did find it. I was hospitalized and had to receive 5 units of blood. Got back to healthy, back to exercising and being a successful gastric bypass patient. Then all of a sudden I began to experience all the tell tell signs again over a year later. Sure enough, bloodwork indicated massive anemia. Instead of going to my PCP I went to my Weightloss team of surgeons. Still no rhyme or reason as to why this is happening, severe anemia. 6 months ago my bloodwork was almost back to normal. I take prescription iron. So this is a mystery plaguing my drs and I. Iron infusions are not bad, I just had several deep bruises from the IV sites. Being anemic is no fun, but severely anemic is even worse. It just leaves me drained and tired all the time. I use to run/walk every day, down to sequestering and no exercising. Guess the good thing is that since the no exercise for 4 months now, I can say that I have not gained or lost any weight. May be looking at iron infusions over the rest of my life, which I understand is common with us patients. You will do just fine! 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 170 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
Recent Topics