Abdominal pain

st_mel
on 8/24/12 5:14 pm - Waco, TX
First, let me say I already have an appointment with my surgeon.  I'm just puzzled and would like some feedback from others who may have been in my position.

A little background:  I had my gallbladder removed in 10/2008, RNY in 8/2009, bypass of my common bile duct (because of bile duct stones) in 2/2010, and a hernia repair just this past month, in 7/2012.  Four surgeries, four years, all in pretty much the same place.  The same surgeon did the last three.  My first two were done laparoscopically and the second two were open. Needless to say, it wasn't that surprising that I developed a hernia after the first three surgeries.

Here's the rub:  I've been experiencing pain in my upper right abdomen since shortly after surgery #3.  The surgeon did an MRI to check things, because it reminded me of the pain you get from gallstones.  The MRI was as normal as it could be considering all the surgeries.  Fast forward to February 2012.  I'd been getting the pain off and on, but in February, it really seemed to start sticking.  It went from no more than 10 minutes of pain at a time to hours.

My PCP did lab work which was fine, so he referred me to a gastroenterologist who completed an EGD.  Everything was normal, and looked just as it should.  Then, last month, the pain started lasting days.  I finally gave up and went to the ER and was admitted.  ER doc called my surgeon, who planned an open laparotomy.  The minute he opened me up, he saw the hole. I was not actively herniated, but the theory was I was having pain off and on because my small bowel would get caught, and then get loose. Everything was peachy after the fix, and the pain went away.

My three year surgiversary was last week, so two weeks ago, I had my full panel of labs.  Everything is normal except vitamin D. Liver function tests, amylase, etc. is all normal.  Today, for the first time since the hernia repair, I had pretty much the same pain that put me in the hospital last month.

It's kind of like a cramping sensation just below my ribs on the right. It seems to go through to the very bottom of my shoulder blade on the back.  The best way I can describe it is that it's kind of like renal colic, just in a different spot.

After all of that, is there anyone who has had the same kind of pain? If so, what was it?

Other than the hernia, I have had no complications from my RNY, and, let's face it, that was as much from the other two surgeries as it was from the RNY.

cajungirl
on 8/24/12 5:46 pm
First I'm sorry you are going through this. Not sure what is is but maybe another hernia or bowel kink. With numerous surgeries there is also a possibility you have adhesions.

Glad you have an appt with your doctor. Please let us know what you find out.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

st_mel
on 8/24/12 5:53 pm - Waco, TX
Thanks.

I have almost no adhesions.  When Dr. Sims had me open for the hernia repair, he checked because the gastro's theory was my small bowel was getting caught in adhesions.  According to my husband, he spent a lot of time checking everything out, including my bowels. So, from the outside at least, they appear normal.

They did some kind of contrast CT when I was in the ER.  I was amused that they expected me to down 16 ounces of contrast in 15 minutes.  And there were three cups I had to do that with!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 234 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?