Protein & lactose intolerance

BeansOnToast
on 8/26/12 5:47 am - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 Well, ladies and gents. You may now officially add me to the list of post oppers that are now lactose intolerant. Ugh. I drink a shake in the morning and wow. It goes down, but I feel nauseous for hours. And of course, it's not pleasant coming out either (sorry!). I just don't wanna feel like this every day. I know there are protein waters. I've tried isopure's (the red and blue, fruit punch and blue raspberry I think?) but they honestly tasted god awful. Lol. I heard there's another brand out there thats actually really good, even for those of us still extra sensitive to sweets. Any one know what it is? Or have any suggestions? I'm slowly getting more from food, but since I'm pushing that 5 week mark, my dietitian said my protein needs will increase quite a bit so I know I'll need the water/drinks even more. Blah. 
Mel.
xoxo

wendydettmer
on 8/26/12 5:52 am - Rochester, NY
do you make your shakes with milk? you can switch to almond milk or lactose free milk. nectar protein you can mix with water.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

BeansOnToast
on 8/26/12 5:58 am - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
I do mix with milk, I've done silk light as well but with the same results. I'm pretty sure my powder itself has lactose in it. But I'm also just not into sweets or shakes or anything. Never have been. I've tried a few different Nectar samples but either they're WAY too sweet or I don't like them. :(
Mel.
xoxo

FireOpal
on 8/26/12 6:06 am
RNY on 05/15/12
Hello Mel, I drink two Isopure Zero Carb in Alpine Punch and Mango Peach per day but add ice and water to dilute them and also get my water in. That way the taste is better. Have you tried Click? Several people here mention them.

BeansOnToast
on 8/26/12 6:09 am - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 Thanks. I was thinking of diluting it today to see if it helps the taste. But I've never heard of click. I'll google it and check it out. 
Mel.
xoxo

rocky513
on 8/26/12 6:09 am - WI
If your protein powder has whey concentrate in the ingredient list it has lactose in it.  You need to get a powder that is whey isolate.  Those powders are 99% lactose free.  There are many brands out there.  I use Body Fortress Whey Isolate.  I get is at Walmart for about $22 per tub.  It is pretty sweet though.  Your tastes will change the further out you get from surgery.  You could try to get some samples to try. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

madeformore
on 8/26/12 7:44 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12
I use the Jay Robb brand of whey isolate and mix it with Crystal Light. Not sure what would be too sweet for you but I like it. It comes in several different flavors and my local grocery store even sells the sample packs so you can try them out before investing in a big tub of something. Good luck!

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

Dcsavvy
on 8/26/12 8:37 am
RNY on 07/19/12
 I add two scoops of Nectar Unflavored to 24 oz of water and flavor with
Crystal Light or one of the Ocean Spray flavors.  20 grams of protein and 3 cups of water in each serving!

Height: 5'3"; HW 298; SW 279.5; CW 186 GW 160

~  Deb

Missy A.
on 8/26/12 8:57 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12
I believe the other protein you are thinking of is Cytomax. I haven't tried it, but I agree the Isopure is awful! I was able to drink it diluted but only for the necessary time. I couldn't wait to stop drinking it.

Sorry your having a tough time. Hope you find something that works for you!

Missy

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 8/26/12 10:24 am

I am lactose intolerant but I can eat cheese and yogurt.  I use Body Fortress from Walmart.  It is whey isolate.  There is also soy protein powder and egg white protein powder.

Winnie

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 13 replies · 91 views