Hair Loss

MBMom
on 8/27/12 9:18 am, edited 8/27/12 9:18 am
RNY on 09/17/12
I've been trying to research this but I want to know what you all have experienced in the way of hair loss.  My hair is very fine and on the thinner side to begin with.

Should I be doing something now?

Do you mind telling me your hair story?
wmamey
on 8/27/12 9:30 am
RNY on 06/18/12
Sorry, it happens for some and for some it doesn't. There is any amount of vitamins, protein or minerals that will stop it if it is going to happen to you. It may not be the result of any nutritional deficiency but the result of actual surgery - and that could be ANY surgery. It WILL grow back! Someone did recommend the Joan Rivers GReat Hair Day -
http://www.joanriversgreathairday.com/faqs.php

Jennifer P.
on 8/27/12 9:55 am - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 Yeah, the other person is right - not much you can do about it.  It's the actual anesthesia, not specific to our surgery,

yahpraiser
on 8/27/12 10:18 am - danville, AL
I am a little over 6 months out and have lost very, very little hair. I had about a 2 or 3 week thing that I thought it maybe starting to happen. That was a couple of months ago but it never really did anything just a few strands here and there for those weeks and then stopped. I was also very worried about it. I hope you have good luck with yours.

anewbeginning2012
on 8/27/12 11:16 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I am in the same boat...I have very thin hair to begin with too and want to head off any loss if I can.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/27/12 11:44 am - OH
Yep, it is inevitable for most people, and there isn't anything you can do (now or after surgery) to avoid it..  Google telogen effluvium if you want to read about what it is, what causes it, and why you really cannot do anything about it. You can take biotin to help encourage regrowth, and making sure that you get all your protein and vitamins in will keep it from being any worse than it might otehrwise be, but you can't prevent it.

A few get lucky and lose very little hair, and some of us (like me) lose a lot.  I lost fully half of my hair (overall thinning, no bald spots) and my hair is baby fine and was not very thick to begin with, so I had to cut over 6 inches off of it because it just looked terrible long when it was so thin.  You could easily see light through the hair that was below ear level.

The good news, though, is that your face and body will be getting smaller so most people won't notice it (at least until ot gets really bad... and probably won't notice it at all if you keep it cut shorter) and -- for most people -- all of it grows back.  For some (like me), it might not all grow back, but most of it does.

It is a small price to pay for a smaller healthy body.

Lora

10 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lesimpson
on 8/27/12 1:39 pm
I had surgery over a year ago (18 m) and I am still experiencing hair loss (not as much) but also thin and fine hair.  I am taking my optisource vitamins 4 a day and 10, 000 miligrams of biotin as well as calcium.  This can not be still related to the surgery (anesthesia) can it?  I eat a lot of protein and I have lost 105 pds. I love the way i look body wise, just wondering about my hair?  A friend recomended this site and she said you are a great source of knowledge.

Thank you
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/27/12 3:24 pm - OH
You're not having growth of facial hair with that much biotin?  I assume you mean micrograms rather than milligrams.  The USRDA for adults is 30 mcg, so you are taking over 3300% of that!  Some people experience excess facial hair growth at levels much lower than that.  Also, that is really a waste of vitamins and money since, although some is found in the liver, the excess is excreted in your urine.

No, the loss you are experiencing is almost certainly not still from surgery.  
 Insufficient protein is often the culprit.  How much protein is "a lot"?  How long ago was your last set of labs and what was your protein level (even though you are eating "a lot", you may not be eating enough and/or may not be absorbing enough)?

There are a number of vitamin deficiencies that can contribute to hair loss (zinc, and iron, for example) as well as some medical conditions such as both low and high thyroid levels.  If you we not had these levels checked, you probably should.

Lora

Lesimpson
on 8/28/12 6:55 am
thanks for the reply.  I will make an appointment with my doctor for labs.  I could be my iron.  By "a lot" of protein i am averaging between 50-70 mg (?) of protien a day. for example here is my diet.

breakfast- either 1 hard boiled egg with 3 oz of fruit and juice with fiber, vitamins and suppliments (biotin, calcium)

Snack-3-4 oz of cheese, pumpkin seeds or nuts

Lunch -4 oz of meat, veggie, maybe a cup of soup and fruit with unsweetened tea

snack-2 pieces of liverwurst, cheese, or yougurt

Dinner-4 oz meat, veggie, starch

how does this sound?  Thanks for the suggestions.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/28/12 8:14 am - OH
60 grams of protein is actually the minimum amount of protein we need, and some people absorb less than others, so you may not be getting enough.  (My protein levels, for example, stay between 7.5 and 8 with about 80g of protein daily, but some people here have to consume over 100g daily in order to keep their protein level at or above 7). If you have not had your protein level checked recently, ask the doctor to check that as well. 

Lora

Most Active
What's your Monday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 68 replies · 840 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 64 replies · 729 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 57 replies · 592 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 54 replies · 689 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 39 replies · 329 views
Pandemic Nightmare