protein elixer??

llorii
on 8/29/12 6:42 pm
RNY on 03/26/12
I bought a protein exlixer from my surgeons office.  It's from bariatric advantage.  It has 10 grams of protein per serving which I belive is 2 oz...It seems like I read somewhere that we don't absorb protein from an elixer.  I get all my protein from food.  I usually am right around 60 but some days could use the extra 10 from the elixer.  Has anyone heard if this is actually beneficial to us???

H/W 325  S/W 325  C/W 162 G/W 169 (normal bmi) 5'9"                      

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/29/12 7:10 pm - OH
It depends on what kind of protein is in it.  What does the ingredient list say?  Ten grams is not much protein (most of the bullets/shots have 3-4 times that much... But there are only one of two of them that have protein we can absorb).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

llorii
on 8/29/12 12:23 pm, edited 8/29/12 12:29 pm
RNY on 03/26/12
https://www1.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/list/11/Protein]
It's the progo..the first one on the page.  I can't find the type of protein..I don't really know what I'm looking for.
THe serving size is 2TBS not 2 Oz

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/29/12 7:41 pm - OH
No, it is not a protein you will absorb.  The second ingredient (right after the water) tells you that it is collagen protein ("hydrolyzed kosher collagen protein"), and collagen does not have all the necessary amino acids to make it a complete protein that we can absorb.
  The good news, though, it that if you look down just a bit on he ate, you will see the "Yes Whey" protein "shots"/"bullets", and if you look at the ingredients for those, you will see that they are one of the few bullets that is made from only whey protein which we CAN absorb.  So there is nothing wrong with buying those to supplement your protein intake.  I have never tried them, so I have no idea if they taste any better than the original collagen protein bullets tasted.  I hope they do because the original ones were pretty gross.   Lora

llorii
on 8/29/12 7:43 pm
RNY on 03/26/12
Ok thank you for looking at it for me.  I can't figure out why they sell it at the surgeons office if it isn't the protein we can us.  I hate protein drinks..I thought this elixer would be great cuz I can take it like a shot of medicine.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/29/12 8:01 pm - OH
Many surgeons -- who are trained n surgery, not nutrition -- and many dieticians/nutritionists are not even aware that collagen  protein does not contain all the ammo acids needed for the body to absorb it.  Some are also fooled by the ones that are a collagen and whey mixture (which are primarily collagen with a little whey protein thrown in).

The protein PDCAAS (Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score) bioavailability/absorbability "score" for
 whey protein and things like milk and eggs is 1.0, but for one of the collagen bullets -- according to the bullet manufacturer itself -- is only .08! So you would absorb less than one-tenth of the protein in the collagen products!

I would encourage you to ask your surgeon about it the next time you are in the office (and tell him/her about the "Yes Whey" bullets that we CAN absorb) and ask if (s)he is aware of the issue.  Unfortunately, people can be endangering their health if they rely too much on the collagen protein and THINK they are getting enough protein when they really aren't.

Lora

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?