Kind of a rant, but kind of scared/uneasy/VAIN?

BeansOnToast
on 8/29/12 2:36 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 So my one month follow up was today. Surgeon says other than my little episode in the ER, things look good. He's cleared me for some light weight training (what I've been looking forward to the whole time). He also said he wants me to aim for 17-18 lbs by my next appointment in a month. That's fine and in sure it's possible, but I'm afraid that now if I start adding weight training, it'll "slow" my weight loss. Only the number on the scale, of course. I know I'll still be losing fat. But I want that number down by my appointment. I do very, very well with weights. I can lift and squat all day long. I know I won't put on THAT much, but I'm scared to put on any. My weight was a little up in the last few days due to the fluids in the hospital but even that made me frown. I'll still be doing my cardio, I'll actually be increasing it starting tonight. But do you think it's gonna make that big of a difference with weights? I can put on muscle, no problemo. An I love it. I'm marrying a power lifter. Lol. Plus I'm worried because my protein intake isn't too high yet. :(
Mel.
xoxo

avivaps
on 8/29/12 2:49 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
 Since the goal of surgery is to get HEALTHIER I would not worry about the number on the scale at all.  Firstly you said you'd been cleared for light weights so doubt you will put on significant/noticeable weight from that.  Secondly, I think a weight number for loss can set one up for failure.  Some of us have stalls that last 6 weeks despite following all the rules.  Work on getting your protein and fluids, gradually add your weights and I promise the weight loss will fall into place.

Andrea. 

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

kmsbanr
on 8/29/12 7:50 am, edited 8/29/12 7:50 am - CT
RNY on 04/10/12
If you have to, sip your protein to get it in and your fluids goa as well. Shakes count toward fluids.Both your protein and fluids influence your weight loss. In beginning its hard to eat enough volume to get it all in. If you have trouble call your nutritionist for ideas. My plan was I couldn't go to bed unless i had it all in. It worked for me. You will of course add muscle but the cardio and malabsorption will still help you lose weight. You prob know too that the weights help you rev your metabolism which will also help you lose weight. If you haven't already, take some measurements so if your weight loss slows or stalls you'll have this tool to boost your moral. You may want to go to Gastric Bypass Family I found their articles helpful and reassuring when I was struggling to get out of a stall.Most people start slowing down a bit around now and you need to know that your activity doesn't cause it. I stepped it up when I slowed down. Hope this helps

BeansOnToast
on 8/29/12 2:50 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
I know I'll still be losing. I just want HIM to see the number. Lol
Mel.
xoxo

kmsbanr
on 8/29/12 3:01 pm - CT
RNY on 04/10/12
Its ok to have your own goal and believe in it and be happy when you lose.  Mind Body connection can be a powerful tool if you buy into it.  My md said 21/2-3 pounds a week early out I didn't always make it but the scale they have shows the progress by the change in our fat percentage.  Be confident and treat yourself well.  Our poor bodies have gone through a big change and shock they have a lot to adjust to.  Believe in you self and your bodies ability to move at the pace it can.  Not to say there weren't times I was totally frustrated and confused. Then I found the articles on GBF and it helped to understand. But when the scale didn't move usually measurements /sizes change. 

Jocelyn F.
on 8/29/12 4:45 pm - VA
RNY on 07/28/14
Start using measuring tape if you aren't already. That way if the number on the scale isn't moving you still have other numbers (that IMO are more important) that may be moving to help provide encouragement. I dunno about you but I'd rather lose an inch off my waist than 5 pounds of what may be water weight or bloat that I was carrying last week, etc.
BeansOnToast
on 8/29/12 4:50 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 Yeah, I haven't been measuring. But I'm getting married in a little over a month and when I ordered my dress from the designer, they obviously did all my measurements. Next week I have to go in when it's delivered and they'll take my measurements again, so that will hopefully be a good day. Lol. But I have a measuring tape on my shopping list for tomorrow, so I'll start taking my own. Especially since I'm up 3 lbs from the ER and yes, I'm still obsessed with my scale and that won't change. Lol
Mel.
xoxo

Jocelyn F.
on 8/29/12 5:47 pm - VA
RNY on 07/28/14
I read your thread about the ER, you were dangerously dehydrated as I recall. That 3 pounds is jus****er, which you need!
BeansOnToast
on 8/29/12 5:51 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 I know but I'm obsessed with my scale. :( Not something I can change just yet. 
Mel.
xoxo

ronningeeb
on 8/29/12 6:14 pm
RNY on 08/09/12
I feel ya with the scale obsession, prior to surgery on 8/9 I was phobic about scales, after surgery I was on it daily. Rationally I know that this is just another compulsion I can conquer. I relasped today, after about 4 days. I will continue making a concerted effort to stop this obsessive trend and weigh every 7-10 days.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 343 views