Bowel troubles only 3 days post op.

jmillz
on 8/30/12 3:21 pm - MD
RNY on 08/27/12
 I don't know how to explain what is going on with my bowel movements. It's not really diarrhea but it's really runny and my last bowel movement was green I've had 5 in less than 24 hours. Can anyone help me out and suggest some things I should do.
SarahLee1969
on 8/30/12 3:39 pm - NY
You can ALWAYS call your surgeons office to discuss IF this is a problem or not. I just had my RNY on 8/9 and for the first week or so my bowels were off... loose and sometimes frequent . Remember, you just had your digestive system re-routed and your intestines are adjusting to this major change. You are also probably only drinking and taking in minimal amounts of anything with "solids" in it (yogurt, protein drinks, pudding, etc.)there isn't much there to bulk up the stool.
You can add fiber to your liquids. I like Metamucil brand Clear and Natural... it is inulin fiber and will mix clear and tasteless into almost anything. I've added it to you plain water, sugar free powerade, coffee, and diluted juices.
jmillz
on 8/30/12 3:48 pm - MD
RNY on 08/27/12
 Thanks! That helped a lot.
jamiebrain
on 8/30/12 4:11 pm - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 I'm 2 weeks out and I've just started having this problem.  I just emailed the nurse and nut at my surgeon's office to see what if anything I should do about it.  I just got moved to the next diet stage but haven't had much new to eat because this started up yesterday.  You might want to contact your surgeon's office as well.  

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

65rosesmom
on 8/30/12 4:34 pm
At three days out, your body is just clearing itself of everything from the surgery and figuring out how your new system works. I think its totally normal to have weird stools going on. I did until I was allowed to move to full liquids (1 week out) and then within a week had the opposite issue, having to add miralax daily. In the end I believe it will all regulate out, but it does take time, so try to be patient.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Dave Chambers
on 8/30/12 5:03 pm - Mira Loma, CA

As a recent post op, you'll face 2 issues. First the anesthesia likely hasn't worked itself out of your system, and that can lead to your issue. Secondly, you're likely on almost 100% liquids at this point.  Keep in touch with your surgeon and hopefully you'll get the OK for soft foods, which should help. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

PamelaNJ
on 8/30/12 5:19 pm
Don't worry, this sounds pretty normal to me. For the 1st week post op, it seemed like I had some kind of loose bowl movement every time I peed. After awhile it stopped and then I had the opposite problem! It just takes time to heal and get back to "normal", although it will be a new normal since the food and the amounts you eat will be very different than before surgery. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on becoming a healthier me!

sudemo09
on 8/30/12 6:34 pm - Dover, NH
Absolutely what Pamela NJ said.

I had black tarry poops from day 3-7.  Think about a newborn, becasuse, really, you are starting from scratch.  Then normalized. 

Now at 2 1/2 yrs out, I ppop about every 2-3 days. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics