Xpost - Nasty protein coffee/diabetes/doc visits

Turtle Lynn
on 9/4/12 6:16 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with
 Ugghhhhh I had to dump out my whole cup!  I used a 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder and mixed it with some Coffeemate (non dairy) liquid creamer and it was gross. . .blech!!!!  I ended up dumping out my whole cup and making a new pot (just a little 5-cup coffee maker).  I even added a dash of SF Torani marshmallow syrup and that soooooooooo didn't help!

All I could taste was the "whey" through the coffee.  When will I learn to stop trying the "whey" proteins?!?!?!  They make me gag. . .taste and smell.  I'm not sure if I am just "that" stubborn or if I am stuck on stupid!!!! 

On a positive note, I saw my Endo, GI doc and PCP last week.  The Endo has reduced my Victoza, wooo hoooo, he is trying to get me off of it.  He said with RNY you naturally make such high levels of GLP-1 (which is what the Victoza is) that my shots likely aren't doing anything.  I was at 1.8 mg (highes on the pen), last week he dropped me down to 1.2 mg and starting today I'm at 0.6 mg whic is the lowest setting and as long as my sugars don't go up, as of the middle of next week I should be off my med's altogether!!!!

My GI doc was thrilled with my weight loss but wants me to stay on the Prevacid for at least another 6 months before he will consider letting me come off of it.  

My blood pressure was very low, 86/54 in L arm and 85/52 in R arm and pulse of 52 so my PCP took me off of 1 of my 2 blood pressure medications AND cut my cholesterol meds in half so if my cholesterol and triglycerides stay as low as they are now, she will take me off of that too in 6 months!   She is tickled at how well I am coming along and kept asking me RNY questions lol.  It amazes her how it affects diabetes in such a positive way.  

So, I am down to just daily aspirin, Prevacid meltaways, HCTZ 3x a week and my daily vitamins and supplements (multi, calcium+D, B12, Vit D 2000 i.u. daily, 2 iron tabs with Vit C). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .wooooooooo hoooooooooooo, I am making progress!!!!!!

The only sucky thing is I gained 4 lbs this past week   I am guessing it is mostly fluid as my legs/ankles are pretty swollen but damn if that isn't discouraging!!!!!  Some days I hate the scale, but than again, there are times when you just gain for no apparent reason, it's all part of the journey and at least this time around I KNOW it will come back off in a few days to a week.  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

laura_vermont
on 9/4/12 6:45 am
Congrats on all the positive health changes!!!  You're right -- the 4lbs are just fluid.  Just a fluctuation... they aren't there to stay.

As for proteins, I never found one I LOVED.  Like, yes.  Click is very good and I found that if I mixed one scoop click & one vanilla (lean dessert), blended it with  whole milk and ice that it wasn't bad.  Never something I would crave, but not bad.  Are you at the point where you can hit your protien minimum from food? If you are, don't bother with shakes.  Personally, I do a protein bar almost every day, I actually enjoy it.

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Turtle Lynn
on 9/4/12 6:51 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Thanks, Laura! 

I haven't tried Click yet; I am going to see if I can order some samples of that and the Syntrax Nectar drinks from Vitalady.

No, unfortunately, I'm supposed to be getting in 105 grams of protein a day and without the shakes I'm not even close to that.  I have the GNC lean shakes (chocolate & vanilla) that I like; they aren't whey based.  I was just trying to find something a little more cost-effective without sacrificing the taste.  

I was thinking I could hide that "whey" smell and taste under coffee and creamer, but nope, not me with the super post-surgery taste buds over here .  

What protein bars do you use?  I haven't found one yet that either isn't hard as a rock or full of sugar and sugar alcohols.  

laura_vermont
on 9/4/12 8:15 am
Wow, you were given a much higher minimum than I was - 60g.  I would need shakes to get there too.  Even my protein bars - power crunch (pb creme) - wouldn't be that helpful. 

I would try pudding mix as suggested.  Ready to drink shakes often taste better, but definitely don't help the budget.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Dave Chambers
on 9/4/12 7:09 am - Mira Loma, CA

One bad cup of coffee and you dumped the pot? Did you add all of your "flavorings" to the whole pot?  Proteins added to hot foods can clump and be unappealing to the patient. Best is to pour coffee, put 1- 1/2 oz water in another cup and add whey isolate protein to this, mix to dissolve, and then stir this into cofee.  Works much better and no clumps.  I prefer to the unflavored whey isolate generic one I found to any I've found on the shelf. I often mix up a box of SF cheesecake jello pudding and mix with 35 oz container of Fage. Put 2-3 oz in bowl, add a scoop of this unflavored protein and mix with black cherry SF Torani syrup. When mixed, I now have a blackberry cheesecake protein yogurt. It's near 20g protein for the amount listed.  I do also use this same protein in coffe once in a while, but do mix with cool water and stir in as noted. DAVE 

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Kat1313
on 9/4/12 7:27 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13
Dave,
Do you mix the SF pudding with milk?  Or directly with the Fage?  Since it appears to make quite a large amount, how long does it last in the fridge?
Tks,
Kathy
Turtle Lynn
on 9/4/12 8:15 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Thanks Dave, great idea with the SF pudding, protein and Fage, I will have to try that!

Yes, I mixed the powder and creamer separately, but even with it being a half of a scoop it was a lot so I had to add all of it to the whole 5 cups/pot of coffee.  It didn't curdle or clump as I also tempered it with a few teaspoons of hot coffee before I mixed them together.  I just didn't like the taste at all and I could smell the protein whenever I picked up my cup to drink the coffee. . . .and then all I could taste was the protein . . .blech!

I guess my taste buds are just being difficult lol. . .and here I thought I was picky BEFORE surgery; I am way worse now! 

Dave Chambers
on 9/4/12 9:09 am - Mira Loma, CA

Expiration date on the Fage I just got was in October, about 30 days. Between my wife and myself, I normally but 3-4 of this size Fage per week. They sell in about 17 oz containers too, but it's not as cheap per serving as the larger size. One small box of SF Jello pudding per 35 oz. 3 oz servings, and this is almost 12 servings.  DO NOT mix FF milk with pudding, just put in dry powder ONLY.  Use a mixer to blend. I also take a rubber scraper and scrape edges of bowl and fold over 1-2 times to get thoroughly mixed.  Unflavored whey isolate protein jacks up the protein level, 9g for about 35 calories increase.  I've used pistachio, lemon, butterscotch flavors for variety. But the cheesecake flavor is more versitile, adding the SF Torani syrups of your choice to vary flavors.  Cherry flavors, berry flavors, citrus flavors, and conventional coffee flavors add a wide variety of choices to suite you new taste buds. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 498 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 107 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?