Lower Back Pain

CarolinaKelly
on 9/5/12 4:23 am - NC
RNY on 08/29/12
Good morning -

My surgery was this morning one week ago today.  Overall, I think I am doing quite well.  Recovery is good - every 24 hr period is better than the last.  Getting in my fluids gets easier every day and I was cleared yesterday to start adding my vitamins and promoted to a full liquid diet.

My one question is lower back pain.  And, I guess to be more accurate, I should say it is more discomfort than actual pain.  I am sure that I am not the first to experience this, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.  I have been using a heating pad, but cannot quite fathom the idea of swallowing liquid tylenol.

Oh, and I have lost 21 pounds.  Yay!

Thanks for the help!
Jennifer P.
on 9/5/12 5:13 am - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 Sounds like gas.  Are you walking enough?    1 week post op I was told to walk at least 3 times a day, for 5-10 minutes each time.  

Dolores L.
on 9/5/12 6:14 am - FL
Revision on 08/14/12

Congrats on your weight loss and progress otherwise!

I am a little over 3 weeks out, and my low back still hurts a bit too; especially at the end of the day. Moist heat does help. Liquid tylenol is awful. I broke down and took a regular 500 mg tylenol twice a day - I broke it in half and chewed it a bit (although at first I was on my liquid pain meds, I didn't want to over do that). Make sure that you don't get more than 4gms total of APAP (tylenol) per day between what you might add and what is in your pain meds. It can cause liver damage.

The surgeon said (and it makes sense) that it's from laying on the table during surgery, and then laying in bed more than usual, and moving differently than we did pre-op. Even though we think we are getting up, we aren't as active at first.

I will tell you that it is getting much better. But Oh, how I would have practically sold my soul for a couple of Aleve twice daily for that first week at home. I was SO sore!

If you know any gentle yoga stretches for your hips and low back, these will help. Just gently folding forward and letting your arms hang is a good stretch. Of course, only do what you can. I have found that the days I walk more, my back hurts less. So try to be as active as you can. I realize that it's a lot of work to take a shower and just get cleaned up at first. This will improve!
At 3 weeks out (and 53 years old) I would say that I have 80% of my energy back and relief from about 80% of the back pain. I am completely off all pain meds except an occasional tylenol.

I feel great and you, too will soon feel MUCH better!! Stay active!

CarolinaKelly
on 9/5/12 10:43 am - NC
RNY on 08/29/12
Thanks for the response.  I am moving more and more each day.  Not taking any pain meds (haven't since I left the hospital).  Bending forward or backward is still pretty uncomfortable - mostly around my drain site.  Hopefully, like everything else, it will get better everyday.

Thanks again -
K.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?