Coffee--nectar of the gods or elixir of the debil? Lets discuss coffee post RNY!

Amy D.
on 9/5/12 6:59 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
So I've noticed that most everyone on here drinks regular ole high octane coffee. Or at least a lot of people do, that's for sure. My surgeon has a "no coffee" after RNY policy as well as a "no caffeine" after surgery policy. I'm not sure I understand why. I know he explained it and I know the dietician did as well, but since I was more concerned about kicking my diet soda habit I didn't really worry about my coffee habit so I may not have paid attention. I honestly think that the reasons given were fairly vague. He gave an example of a patient who begged to be "allowed" to drink coffee and then felt like crap with stomach pain after. But feeling bad on an individual basis isn't exactly a reason for an across the board ban, you know?

So, what do you guys think? I've been drinking regular coffee for the past week or so and I'm in heaven, lol. I can tolerate it just fine and have no pain. What have been your experiences with coffee, either leaded or unleaded, because I have been using decaf in my morning shakes for ages now and never really thought of that as "real" coffee.

And yes, I am aware that I could call my surgeon's office but honestly, it's a petty question so I'm asking here. Esp considering that my doc's nurse complained to me about people calling in with what she considered asinine questions at my last visit (not complaining about me, just venting in general). And I want real world experience not my surgeon's party line.

Tell me about your coffee habits or lack thereof!! 

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Tim T.
on 9/5/12 7:17 am - Eastham, MA
I'm 14 months out and consume 3 to 4 16 oz. iced coffees daily. No sugar, fat free 1/2& 1/2, Starbucks Vio Italian roast packets. It's liquid. Quit when I get shaky. That is all.

Kay L.
on 9/5/12 7:22 am - N., AL
Some surgeons don't allow caffeine of any kind post-op RNY. I think reasons vary, but the main one I've heard is due to it being an appetite increaser and the acid is not good for the stomach. However, decaf coffee has more acid in it than leaded coffee.

I love my coffee, but I only drink leaded until about lunchtime. Alot of people drink a glass of water for every cup of coffee they drink.

Neen L.
on 9/5/12 7:29 am - Arlington, VA
I have coffee for breakfast every day. Granted, I'm over 8 years post-op so my stomach and body have adjusted to a lot. I think that my guidelines for when I was first post-op said to avoid it due to the acidity and caffeine. I didn't start drinking it until probably 3 years post-op.

I was never a milk-and-sugar person, so to me coffee is the ideal "free" beverage. My Keurig is probably the most used appliance in the house other than the stand mixer.

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Larry Wassmann
on 9/5/12 7:48 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
I would listen to your doctor. Have you read about the ulcer problem some have had? My dad refused to listen to his doctor about smoking….he is dead now. You are an adult so do as you please, but I will do what my doctor tells me, because if I do and have a problem, I am going to hold him responsible. If I go against his advice, well then that is my problem. I for one do not know more than my surgeon. Maybe some of you do. If your surgeon specifically told you that coffee is OK for you then go for it. Mine said absolutely not.     

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Don 1962
on 9/5/12 7:59 am
Initially post op I was decaf but gone back to leaded for the most part.  One, two cups a day is about it. 

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

exohexoh
on 9/5/12 8:00 am - West Chester, PA
 i was allowed to have caffeine as soon as i was able to get in enough fluids, which was pretty much right after surgery. i don't drink coffee often because i'm not too fond of it, but i have been drinking regular tea since a few weeks out. i also drink diet soda. 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Dave Chambers
on 9/5/12 8:05 am - Mira Loma, CA

I stuck to decafe for 6 months post op.  Caffeine can act as an irritant, slowing healing. It can also cause frequent urination, which can be a real issue for newer post ops drinking enough water.  Once past 6 months, I personally think it's ok for regular coffee. BUT, I stay away from high caffeine forms of coffee.  I knew one guy in a post op group, who was having what appeared to be high anxiety issues. It turned out he was drinking several "high caffeine content" Starbucks coffees daily. Group suggested he switch to decafe, and is issue virtually went away completely.  It's a personal choice. I like my daily 2-3 cups of regular coffee. BUT, I've also made a committment to go without any alcoholic beverages.  I knew too many post ops who ended up with ulcers or cross addictions from alcohol. So my choice is to avoid alcohol--no social drinking, no glass of with Holiday dinners, etc.  Not one for over 6 years since my surgery. And I enjoyed social drinking, drinking on vacation, wine with dinners, etc. before my surgery. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/12 8:52 am
Coffee and caffeine wasn't forbidden and I haven't had any problems. I'm a coffee fiend, but I normally only ever drink decaf because regular makes me feel like I'm on speed and it's unpleasant. I don't tend to drink on an empty stomach either, I have it with breakfast and sometimes after lunch. I don't have an ulcer, and only rarely get a burning sensation from it. Usually it's because I assaulted by pouch with spicy Indian or Mexican food the night before.
(deactivated member)
on 9/5/12 9:09 am
My surgeon says no coffee, either regular or decaf. He also says no soda (diet or regular) and no black tea (even unsweetened), citing the tannins that are found in these drinks as they have a small incidence of causing ulcers, particularly at the anastamosis site. When I asked how many of the group's patients (him and one other surgeon) have had this problem the answer was one. I thought about and decided that the risks he described definitely did not outweigh the rewards and drink drink coffee almost every day, about a 50/50 mix of decaf/regular. I do only drink one cup a day.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 524 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics