Vegetarians...please help

tinamarie_125
on 9/5/12 1:42 pm
 I had a ton of issues with strictures and vomiting. To the tune of 16 dialations. I threw up so much, I credit it to me now being a vegetarian. I haven't had meat or fish since May. The good news is, my medical issues now seem fixed. But I still cannot fathom eating meat or fish. I eat a lot of cheese, dairy and beans. But find that I fall really short of my protien count each day. I drink protien shakes, one or two a day. But wonder if I am needing more food type proteins. Can vegetarians out there give me some examples of what you eat daily? And if you know roughly the protien amounts? I am 3 years out and can eat about a cup of food at a time.
TIA!
BeansOnToast
on 9/5/12 2:11 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 My fiancé is a vegetarian. He eats a ton of tofu which you can make a thousand ways and lots of cottage cheese. Lots of milk, paneer (he's Indian), whey shakes. But tofu is a good one. Also look at the vegetarian areas of stores. There's a brand called Quorn, they make this "chicken cutlet", but it's vegetarian/vegan and really good. 

Hope that helps. I'll ask him some more ideas later on to try to help you out. 
Mel.
xoxo

poet_kelly
on 9/5/12 2:17 pm - OH
How are you falling short on protein with one or two shakes a day?  What shakes are you using?  A good protein shake should have 20 to 30 grams of protein, so two of those would give you 40 to 60 grams a day.  What is your goal for protein?

I usually do a protein bar for breakfast with about 15 grams.

For lunch I might have beans or vegetarian chili or some cheese or some Greek yogurt.  I probably get 10 to 15 grams protein for lunch.

Dinner is often similar to lunch although sometimes I just do a big salad without much protein on it.  So let's say it's a salad day and I get about five grams protein for dinner.

That's around 35 grams so far.

Then I would probably do Greek yogurt for a snack with about 15 grams, and a protein shake for another snack with about 30 grams, and that would be another 45 grams.  So that would make 80 grams total.  and that would be a kind of low protein day for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tinamarie_125
on 9/5/12 3:22 pm
 Kelly, my doc and nut told me to shoot for at least 80. So with 2 shakes (the whey kind) they are 26 grams each... 2 of them would only equal 52 grams. If I use milk it adds another 16 totaling 68. I guess I just feel like it should be coming more from food not shakes. Do you not feel this way?
wendydettmer
on 9/5/12 3:34 pm - Rochester, NY
i'm vegetarian. i still eat greek yogurt everyday for a snack, which is a lot of protein. I eat a lot of tofu, beans, leafy greens, etc. I do a shake a day as well. I try to stay away from processed foods, but do eat vegan meatballs over zucchini pasta, which is YUMMY.

for snacks i'll have hummus, or a chickpea sweet dip. if you do cheese, cottage cheese is good, so are egg whites, cheese sticks. beans are great as well. a nice black bean soup is full of protein and fiber.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

swoozieq67
on 9/5/12 5:50 pm - MI
RNY on 04/25/12
Have you tried Tempeh? I use that along with quinoa as my filling for cabbage rolls and stuffed green peppers. I just add diced onions, shredded carrots or what ever else type of veggies I feel like throwing into the mix. I buy a can of diced tomatoes and a can od tomato sauce mix together and por over the cabbage rolls or peppers. I put them in the oven and bake them with a foil cover. Delicious, filling and cheap to make with plenty of leftovers for freezing. I also put a nice sized dollap of Greek Plain yougurt on top when it is already on my plate and I get plenty of protein from this meal.

Greek yogurt with 2 teaspoons of SF Jello Cheescake flavored pudding mix. I usually put some berries in with it. Tastes like cheesecake.

Van's Protein Waffles...5 grams of Protein per waffle. I put Greek yogurt on them after I toast them and I also warm up some berries in the microwave to put on top...very good!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 376 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 467 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 381 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 326 views