Protein has become my biggest enemy.

BeansOnToast
on 9/5/12 4:51 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 It doesn't matter if it's meat or a shake. Meat just won't stay down, even in stew form. But even after I drink a protein shake, I feel nauseous for quite a long time. I know I've become very lactose intolerant, so I only use 100% whey isolate and I now mix with water, not even silk anymore. But I still feel SO sick! No other liquids do it. I drink plain water or powerade zero only. Tonight I had isopure cookies and cream, 2 scoops and about 16 oz of water. And that was almost an hour ago and I reaaaallllyyyyy feel sick. Same goes for chocolate and banana as well as several other brands I've spent so much money on. 

Im just getting frustrated because I'm not getting my protein in anymore and I really want to keep it up. Plus I've spent so many hundreds on powders that I hate. Ugh! 
Mel.
xoxo

MissLisaD
on 9/5/12 4:59 pm - CA
RNY on 05/31/12
I promise it gets better.  Have you tried fish?  not grilled, but baked...i found that worked for me. (I don't eat meat though, just fish).  What about hard boiled eggs, or unflavored unjury?  I also sneak in some peanut butter sometimes too. I'll think of some more things i was able to eat at that point, because it's only for the past couple weeks that I've actually been able to eat!!!

HW: (265 in 2007) Consult weight: 247 SW: 221 CW:151.8 GW:140     

BeansOnToast
on 9/5/12 5:05 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 Yep. Fish fried or baked is no good. I even did shrimp a few times but now that won't happen. Hard boiled eggs aren't the worst, but they do sit hard on my pouch. I don't care as much about not being able to eat meat just yet. I just REALLY want my protein levels up. I don't want to feel sick, have even worse hair loss than I should, etc. 
Mel.
xoxo

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/5/12 5:47 pm
Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.

Eggs are notorious for causing stomach upset, especially early out. Try one lightly scrambled.

How about some plain protein powder mixed in with refried beans? or some whole beans cooked until they are very soft without protein powder?

I too became lactose intolerant, but strangely greek yogurt has never bothered me.

What protein powders have you tried? Or maybe it's a shorter list to just say what you haven't tried.  I had pretty good luck with syntrax brand. Chocolate of any stripe is still dicey though.

also too, how much liquid are you getting? At your stage, I would get slightly dehydrated, which would make me feel sick, which meant I would avoid food and drink, and the whole problem would just compound.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

wendydettmer
on 9/5/12 5:52 pm - Rochester, NY
maybe try something other then a whey protein? i think soy is nasty, so i don't recommend that. but egg white protein might be good. our health food store has samples you can buy of most of the protein powders they sell, maybe you can look at something like that? there are a lot of complete vegan proteins as well that dont' have milk of any kind.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

BeansOnToast
on 9/5/12 6:26 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
Thanks, Wendy. I'll look into the egg white tomorrow at the store and see if I can find a small size to try. :)
Mel.
xoxo

Dave Chambers
on 9/5/12 6:21 pm - Mira Loma, CA

I used to "poach" fish filets or boneless chicken thighs to retain moisture.  You can get these in most markets, with several pieces in one bag in the frozen food isle.  Take one frozen fish filet or piece of thicken thigh, and place on ceramic plate.  Take another same size plate, and invert, setting it on top of the other plate. The chicken or fish is now in the cavity between the plates. Place in microwave and cook for 3-4 minutes, depending on wattage of your microwave. Use potholders and take plates out of micrwave, HOLDING THEM LEVEL, to avoid spillage of hot juices. Tip plates over sink to pour off fluids.  Remove top plate. I usually took a paper towel to wipe off the area around the fish or chicken to make the plate cleaner for a more appetizing look. Lightly season and eat. High moisture content will likely make them swallow easier.

I do the almost the same thing with shrimp. I get the pre cooked shrimp at my local market. Put about 15 or more shrimp (depends if you have medium or large size shrimp) into a ceramic bowl. Take a saucer plate and set on top of bowl. Put into microwave for around 2 minutes. Remove with pot holders, use plate to hold shrimp in bowl as your pour off liquid. A little salt and pepper and start eating. 

I also use an unflavored whey isolate protein powder. I've mixed it with oatmeal, SF pudding, and recently began also using it with Fage yogurt.  One 35 oz container of Fage, one SF pudding (powder only, cheesecake is good).  Put into bowl and use a hand mixer to blend together.  Put in fridge.  Take out and put about 2-3 oz into a small bowl. I then mix in a rounded Tbsp of the protein (9g protein) and stir with spoon. For wider flavor selections, add several drops of your favorite flavor of Torani SF syrup.  I like the blackberry/cheesecake/protein powder combo for taste. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

BeansOnToast
on 9/5/12 6:29 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 With the chicken idea, it sounds great. But I've tried beef stew which is moist and it didn't stay down at all. I'm hoping it's just because it was beef. I know I have some chicken so I'll give it a try. 

But the other suggestions sound good. I have a tub of the unflavored powder, so I'll have to try adding it to things. I just taste it so well and it's nauseating (even before surgery). I guess every little bit helps. I was thinking of adding a few tablespoons of it to my powerade because it comes in a big bottle. 

But again, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be trying all of these out over the coming days. My poor little pouch. :(
Mel.
xoxo

Wanda K.
on 9/5/12 6:32 pm - Hope Mills, NC
RNY on 04/09/12
 Do you still have your gallbladder?  I had the same problem. Come to find out I had gallstones.  I have my gallbladder removed approximately six weeks ago and about three weeks ago was able to eat pretty much anything except for high sugar content.  Just the thought of what might be causing that if it's not your gallbladder I'm not sure what it is.  Hope you feel better soon.

Wanda 

HW: 282, SW: 244.4, CW: 211, GW: 140   

BeansOnToast
on 9/5/12 7:25 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 Nah. Had that sucker removed during bypass surgery. :(
Mel.
xoxo

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?