OT- wedding dress in a HURRY?!

BeansOnToast
on 9/7/12 10:51 am - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 So, long story short (probably wont be too short, actually.)...

I'm gettin' hitched Oct 11. In April, I went to the store of choice for plus size brides around me. I found an absolutely STUNNING dress that I fell in love with by Allure Bridals. Paid and ordered it. Ship date from the designer to the store was August 10. After not hearing anything, I called last week and they said it was being shipped August 27 and would be in the store Sept 4-5. Today, I called again. She called the designer and asked what was up. She swore to my store she sent it that day so now it should be in next week. Problem is, their seamstress is away until the end of september! The earliest I can get in for alterations is the end of September, only 2 weeks before the big day. So, no. My dress will not be ready. PISSED. 

On the bright side, it WILL be ready by the end of October when we go to Hawaii for a few weeks for our honeymoon. We're having a small, traditional island ceremony there (nothing legal since we'll already be legally married), so I was gonna wear it there as well as for professional pictures. So I still get to use it.

Now, back to the BIG day. I've decided I'll wear another dress. A simple one, nothing like the other one. And cheap, because I'll wear it once and donate it to another bride after. But does anyone have ANY clue where to get one? Even online, I don't mind ordering it. But I need it now so I can get it taken in where it needs to (I'm not well endowed up top) and make sure it fits well. Does anyone have any experience with online dress stores or anything??
Mel.
xoxo

jazzycatz
on 9/7/12 4:05 am, edited 9/7/12 4:06 am - Joppa, MD
Well David's Bridal is still the largest seller of bridal gowns in the country. And they do have a really large off the rack selection.

laura_vermont
on 9/7/12 11:06 am
Just before prom my neice had a dress emergency - her dress didn't arrive and she wears a sz 30 - David's bridal was awesome.  They agreed to sell a sample and do emergency alterations, less than a week from the big day.  I would definitely give them a try.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

BeansOnToast
on 9/7/12 11:07 am - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 Yeah, I've been eyeing David's for a while. I'll go to the store on Monday and see what's there. If not, I'll be ordering one I found on their site. I was just really hoping to find something else. Ugh.
Mel.
xoxo

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 9/7/12 11:21 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
Try renting a dress , my daughter did it and save big bucks and it was beautiful

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

unewillow
on 9/7/12 11:30 am - CT
Why do you have to use their seamstress? Why don't you call around and see who else is in the area and is willing to work with you doing the alterations before your wedding date.

marianthelibrarian
on 9/7/12 12:02 pm
 You said your fiance is Indian, right?  What about a pretty red sari?  It would be pretty and appropriate without competing with your other dress.  You can have one made to order online or if you have an Indian clothing shop near you.  (I would know just where to take you if you lived in the NYC/Northern NJ area!)

My husband is Indian, and I went the traditional white wedding dress route.  It was lovely, but, if I had it to do over again, I might consider a red dress and/or sari.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and best of luck solving your dress dilemma!  

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

MBMom
on 9/7/12 12:35 pm
RNY on 09/17/12
Look at prom dress shops in your area, we found a wedding dress there and they altered it the same week.
jamiebrain
on 9/7/12 12:49 pm - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 I LOVE the red sari idea.  

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

artroxy blue
on 9/7/12 1:27 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I agree with the red dress idea--very memorable! :)

I ordered my dress from Lane Bryant, and it ended up being $50 after discounts and coupons. I'm not sure if they still sell them online or not. 

I had to use David's Bridal for a couple of weddings I was in, and paid for my own alterations at a tailor. 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 355 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 8 views
Recent Topics