Drinking pop after weight loss

jjarrell2
on 9/10/12 7:12 am - Anderson, IN
Has anyone had problems with gas after surgery? I am 3 yrs out and the gas is awful.
wmamey
on 9/10/12 7:40 am
RNY on 06/18/12
I have alot of gas too. There is almost always constant rumbling going on.
I can't tell from the subject are you drinking carbonated drinks? I am so afraid to drink anything with carbonation, I actually read an article that it will damage the pouch. If I find the article again I will post the link here.

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/12 8:09 am
I tried a soda at about 3 months out. YIKES. That was not pleasant. I was very painfully bloated. I tried again at 8 months or a year out and it was better, but I don't like soda the way I used to and it's now obvious to me it's not very hydrating. But occasionally when I'm out, I'll get a small one from the fountain. I don't like the bottled ones as much because I take two sips and leave it and it goes flat fast.

At 3 years out, your pouch is more calm and flexible than early post op when it's very inflexible and grouchy and gets set off easily. But carbonated stuff still gives me some gas, but I burp it up quickly -- unlike foods that cause gas. That sticks around and exits elsewhere.

If you've got alot of gas this far out, what are you eating? The only thing that causes alot of gas for me is stuff I don't tolerate and too many carbs.
jjarrell2
on 9/10/12 8:16 am - Anderson, IN
I eat pretty healthy honestly but I do drink soda. I am attempting to wean myself off and see if it helps. This surgery was the Best thing I have ever done for myself. Feel like a new person. :) 
Dee.spunk
on 9/10/12 8:15 am - Sacramento, CA
I don't usually drink soda, but I have tried it and yeah, I feel like the gas in it fills me up quick. I prefer water.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Larry Wassmann
on 9/10/12 8:28 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
 I was told that I should not use it after surgery, so I got myself off it before my RNY. Really hard to do, I drank at least a case a week. But now for 6 months I have not had one soda. And to tell you the truth, I now do not miss it at all. It took awhile but now I really can live without it, and I did not think I could for a long time. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

courtwillbehealthy
on 9/10/12 8:43 am - burlington, VT
 my husband stopped to the store and got us some fountain drinks... i told him to get me a half water half ice tea. he did but he handed me his drink by mistake i took a big sip BLEH swolled a big ol swig of coke a cola BOY DID THAT BURN im a little over 3 months out
I tell you what. I Kicked Soda MONTHS before my surgery and i had no issues living with out it... 
well now i know i NEVER want it again lol!!! 
i dont even allow it in my home,. 
cajungirl
on 9/10/12 10:18 am
The carbonation does cause gas for some.  Have you tried letting it sit a while to lose some of the fizz.  I don't drink sodas often but find when I do that fountain drinks with a straw are much easier to drink.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

stephaniejoy
on 9/10/12 11:21 am - Mont Belvieu, TX
I'm 4 years out and soda still bothers me alot. I don't drink it. BUT - I very occasionally will have a beer, and oddly enough the carbonation in beer doesn't bother me at all.

Stephanie H.
Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win.
- Bernadette Devlin
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway - Earl Nightingale
All Time High/Pre-Op/Surgery Day/
1st Goal/2nd Goal/Current

217          210          204            145       135          118
                                         GOAL!!!
April 7th 2010 - LBL/BL/BA

BWB
on 9/10/12 12:02 pm, edited 9/10/12 5:03 am
MY fitness trainer told me that it is difficult lose weight if you drink carbonated drinks and that was 3 years before I had surgery. She was right because I didn't give them up then but I have since RNY. It really did hurt my stomach post op. Just last night I accidentally tasted my husbands diet coke and it tasted nasty. I really do wish I could drink them though.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics