1 week to go...can someone tell me?

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 9/8/12 5:46 pm
RNY on 09/17/12
I'm still struggling with the whole caloric malabsorption going away thing.  Why get this specific surgery if caloric malab. goes away after a while?  Why not get the sleeve?  I just hate to think that 2yrs down the road I'm fighting the calories....just like I do now? 

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery

xtine
on 9/8/12 6:15 pm - San Jose, CA
Well, the way I see it is that by the time I lose the bulk of the malabsorption I will have instilled better eating habits and shouldn't struggle more than any normal person would. That is the hope atleast. Also, a lot of people continue to malabsorb at least some fat and calories for life.

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

exohexoh
on 9/8/12 6:22 pm - West Chester, PA
 i don't think i would have lost any weight without the inital malabsorption. portions were never my problem. there was most definitely something metabolic going on in my body where i continued to gain regardless of diet or exercise. 2 years out it's easy for me to maintain with little work, and i don't think i've malbasorbed for awhile now. my body needed a big reset that i don't think i would have gotten from a band or sleeve (plus only the band and rny were covered by insurance)

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

garnetgal
on 9/8/12 6:33 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
In my case I went with RNY because I had a high BMI and the sleeve would have probably (not positively but most likely) been the first step to losing weight and then would have been followed with either a DS or RNY. I personally didn't like the idea of potentially having to have 2 surgeries. Also, I wasn't that worried about the malabsorbtion ending. I am now portion controlled by my pouch! I enjoy food as much as I ever did, I just make better choices and eat less! I don't believe I'm going to have to fight calories, I'm quite content right now on between 800 and 1000 calories a day and that calorie amount will go up some eventually. Depending on a persons activity level you may well be able to eat between 1500 and 2000 calories a day and still maintain your new healthier weight. I'm looking forward to the maintenance stage, but right now I'm enjoying the losing phase and learning what I can and can't eat. Which so far I can eat pretty much anything as long as I eat my protein first!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/8/12 6:35 pm - OH
It is a trade off.  People lose the weight more quickly with the caloric malabsorption, but "pay" for that benefit with the permanent vitamin malabsorption and NSAID restriction.

Personally, if I were doing it again now, and the sleeve was an option, I would do the sleeve.  Even with the caloric malabsorption, it took me 20 months to get the weight off, so a few more months wouldn't have been that big a deal in comparison to having to worry so much about vitamin levels and how to control arthritis pain and inflammation without NSAIDs.

You are correct, though... In the end, you end up almost in the same place with both surgeries in terms of what you eat and how many calories you can consume.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

longhornrose
on 9/8/12 6:39 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
I've thought about this, too.  Hopefully, 2 years down the road we'll still be very limited in how much we can eat, and we'll have learned what our bodies really needs for fuel.

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Allen Y.
on 9/8/12 7:15 pm - Garland, TX
 You can out eat the sleeve by just drinking with your meals to wash the food down and letting food build up in your esophagus. 

It's all about compliance with your doctors orders.

Chirs H.
on 9/8/12 10:31 pm - Wichita Falls, TX
I know this was the only option for me - my doctors are worried about me becoming malnourished - this is because of other health problems.
Chris

Don't quit before the miracle...

poet_kelly
on 9/9/12 4:25 am - OH
Well, it won't be just like it is now, because you'll have a very small pouch and you'll get full on small amounts of food, unlike now.

Benefits of RNY over VSG include the fact that weight loss tends to be faster with RNY, diabetes may be more likely to resolve with RNY (I'm not sure enough studies have been done of VSG to determine if that's true or not, for sure), GERD is very likely to go away with RNY while VSG often makes it worse, and there is plenty of long-term date regarding RNY while there isn't yet with the sleeve.

That doesn't mean RNY is a better choice for you.  There are benefits to the sleeve, as well.

Have you talked to your surgeon about which surgery would be best for you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 450 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 410 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404