5th day out, lap converted to open

melaniepl
on 9/9/12 5:58 am, edited 9/9/12 5:59 am - St. Petersburg, FL
RNY on 09/05/12
Hey everyone! Just a quick check in here.

I had surgery on Wednesday, 9/5, and have been home since Friday afternoon. When I woke up, I learned that the surgeon had to convert to open from laproscopic about 30 minutes in because my deceptively small upper abdomen was unfortunately packed full of organs and  fat. I trust my surgical team completely, but I was a little bummed, expecting a longer healing time and more pain.

I seem to be recovering pretty well though - I went home without my drain, showered on my first day home, and today I'm sitting at the dining room table enjoying my first liquid protein. I struggled with nausea for awhile (in the hospital, the morphine pump made me so sick) but that seems to be under control now. I am dealing with a rumbly tummy on a pretty consistent basis but I'm coping. ;-) Basically, I've been hanging out at my mom's house this weekend and letting her take good care of me. 

I did have a quick question about the abdominal binder that they sent me home with - if you were open and had one, how long did you wear it? 

And, anyone who had open surgery, about how long did you wait to drive?

I'm so appreciative of all the help and reassurance that the people in the forums have provided leading up to and during this entire process. I'm not sure I'd have made it through with my wits intact otherwise!

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

JJ_
on 9/9/12 6:51 am
Welcome to the bench.

I did not have an open surgery.  I wanted to ask you though, did your surgeon ask you to do a pre-op diet?  If so, for how long?

I am glad to hear that you are able to shower, take in nourishment and have Mom take care of you.

May your healing progress as rapidly as possible.

Judy
melaniepl
on 9/9/12 7:27 am - St. Petersburg, FL
RNY on 09/05/12
 Thanks, Judy!

My surgeon doesn't necessarily recommend a liquid diet, but his ARNP put me on modified liquids a week before surgery to shrink the liver, and I did lose weight that week.. The issue wasn't actually with my liver, though! I have a pretty small upper abdomen area and they didn't expect
to see so much fat packed in there with the organs. :-/

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/12 7:56 am - OH
I didn't wear mine once I got home.  I was more uncomfortable with it than without it.  I should say, though,  that I did develop an incisional hernia  (but even my surgeon could not say if that had anything to do with it).

I waited until it did not hurt to get in and out of the car or to use the clutch... But that was 5 years ago so I don't remember exactly.  I did not drive for 3 weeks after my tummy tuck, though... That SOB hurt much more than my open RNY and for longer.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

melaniepl
on 9/9/12 9:32 am - St. Petersburg, FL
RNY on 09/05/12
Lora, thank you. This sucker is driving me crazy (itching, folding when I sleep). I'm pretty sure I'm not going to keep it on very much longer.

Thanks for the advice re: not driving until it doesn't hurt to get in/out of the car. I am so impatient with myself!

Melanie

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/12 10:20 am
Tell your Mom how much you love her. Today and always.  I lost my Mom 5 years ago and miss her everyday.  She would have been such great comfort to me if she had been here.  I am 59 years old and blessed I had her as long as I did.  I know this was not the topic you posted about but for all of us that have or had wonderful mothers to help us throughout our lives we love you!  Jane
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 545 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 529 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 417 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 131 views
Recent Topics