Anyone ever diagnosed with microcytosis?

azreggie
on 9/11/12 4:40 pm - Tucson, AZ
I went to my PCM and had my yearly blood draw for my annual examination and saw him yesterday.  He told me that of the things that he had gotten back everything was stellar.  His nurse called me this morning and started to recant how everything was great except for this microcytosis and so I said well, I guess I'll start taking more iron and she says well, don't do anything yet, we have some more tests that need to be run.  So I don't know what to think, I'm just glad that it's no Friday.  That's when these things usually happen.  Thanks for any imput.

Reggie

cajungirl
on 9/11/12 4:47 pm
 Have you looked at all your iron numbers, Reggie?  Based on possible anemia I hope this is why and you find answers soon. Does your PCP understand malabsorption as it relates to our surgery?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

azreggie
on 9/11/12 4:55 pm - Tucson, AZ
I usually always get a copy of my labs, but since he didn't have everything back I figured I'd wait.  I believe he does understand the malabsorbtion part of this surgery.  I have given him copies from my bariatric surgeon in the past. I keep a copy of all those to track  of "trends" in my blood work.  I just think this is weird.

Reggie

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/12 4:55 pm
What are your iron numbers? What docs consider "in range" can be bad for us. Serum iron of 35 and a ferritin of 10 is "in range" for most labs, but numbers like that for us means we are circling the drain! 

My red blood cells are shriveled for sure, but I'm anemic.
azreggie
on 9/11/12 4:57 pm, edited 9/10/12 9:58 pm - Tucson, AZ
I will have to get a copy of these. I just figured I'd wait for a complete set.
I just thought it was weird that his nurse called and gave me that information.

Reggie

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/12 5:02 pm
No idea! Check the B6 too. Too little B6 can cause smaller than normal red blood cells. Again with the "normal on the lab isn't always normal for us" thing.
artroxy blue
on 9/11/12 5:11 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I have this, and my iron numbers are rarely at normal levels. I'm always just below, even with taking extra iron. 

My PCP originally thought I had thalessemia (sp?) because of the small red blood cells, but I don't. 
azreggie
on 9/11/12 5:20 pm - Tucson, AZ
Yeah, I spent way too much time on Google today.  Not a good idea except I'm not of Mediterranean decent so I don't have that one.

Reggie

queenmabb
on 9/12/12 2:39 am
Microcytosis is when your red blood cells are small.  How are your iron and ferritin levels?  Low iron levels can lead to this happening.

"The flower that blooms in adveristy is the most rare and beautiful of all"  ~~Mulan  
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 414 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 109 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?