I HAVE A HERNIA NEED INFO FROM SOMEONE WHO HAD OR HAS ONE?

SUSIEQQ62
on 9/11/12 10:56 pm - EXETER, PA
 i HAVE A HERNIA AND MY BELLY BUTTON IS BULGINMG WHEN I LAY FLAT--I DO NOT HAVE SEVERE PAIN-BUT IO FEEL LIKE IT IS PUSHING ON MY POUCH..i HAD RNY SURGERY IN 2007 AND HAVE LOST OVER 200 LBS. AND A REVISION SURGERY IN DEC 2011 TO REMOVE A FISTULA I HAD. I JUST WANT SOME INPIT FROM THOSE OF YOU WHO HAD OR HAVE A HERNIA ON WHAT KIND OF PAIN U FEEL AND THE SURGERY ETC--I NEVER HAD A HERNIA BEFORE AND THE GI NUTRITION DOCTOR I SAW YESTERDAY SAID IT SEEMS ;LIKE THE HERNIA IS IN IT EARLY STAGE--BUT I HAVE TO SEE MY SURGEON FOR HIM TO FEEL MY BELLY AND I ASKED IF THERE WAS A TEST OR A CATSCAN OR SOMETHING THAT WILL SHOW THIS HERNIA AND HE SAID NO. I WANT TO HAVE THE LOOSE SKIN REMOVED SOME TIME NEXT YEAR AND I HEARD OTHERS SAYING THAT THEY GOT THEIR HERNIA DONE AT THE SAME TIME--PLEASE HELP IF U KNOW--I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT HERNIAS .. THANKS FRIENDS..GOD BLESS YOU ALL. PRAYERS--SUSIE SMITH FROM PA

SUSIE SMITH FROM NE PA

Susie Smith from PA    

Allen Y.
on 9/11/12 8:27 pm, edited 9/11/12 8:28 pm - Garland, TX
 WOW, small world. In 2002 I had a VBG and lost over 300 lbs. In 2004 or so I had a hernia and used that hernia as a 'crutch' to get my pannilectopmy.  (I had a large apron).

All told there was very very little pain from the surgery itself. The mesh they put in to hold me all together would pull and tweak itself from time to time for YEARS! Part of that was the fact that I was putting weight back on with a vengeance!.

This last year 2012 I had revision surgery to RNY in March and I am down 150 lbs since then. Oh forgot to mention I had a fistula repair in April.

Ask the doctor about what type of mesh he will use and how the body will or will not absorb it.
The hernia repair was NOTHING compared to the WLS.

SUSIEQQ62
on 9/12/12 6:00 am - EXETER, PA
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANSWERING MY POST..I APPRECIATE IT.. CONGRATS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS.. GOD BLESS.

SUSIE SMITH FROM NE PA

Susie Smith from PA    

macjuicy
on 9/12/12 4:21 am - FL
My wife had to lose alot of weight after her RNY and her drastic drop in weight caused 2 hernias, one was in her belly button, she required surgery for both, the belly button one required a mesh inside... I remember her screams in the ER looked super painful but DOC said was common especially when you drop a large amount of weight.

Good Luck

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

SUSIEQQ62
on 9/12/12 6:03 am - EXETER, PA
THANK YOU AND CONGRATS TO YOU AND YOUR WIFE ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS.. I NEED THE PANNICULECTEMY DONE SO I HOPE THAT THIS HERNIA OR HERNIAS DO NOT DEVELOP FAST SO I CAN GET THE BELLY SKIN OFF WHEN I GET THE HERNIA SURGERY LIKE OTHERS HAVE.. I AM WORKING ON CHANGING MY INSURANCES FOR NEXT YR.. GOD BLESS.

SUSIE SMITH FROM NE PA

Susie Smith from PA    

Price S.
on 9/12/12 4:57 am - Mills River, NC
i had 2 large hernias which were repaired when I had RNY.  then a year later I had an umbilical hernia removed.  It wasn't hurting, just irritating on my pant line.  It was simple out patient surgery and I was totally recoved in a few days.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

SUSIEQQ62
on 9/12/12 5:58 am - EXETER, PA
thank you for answering my plea.. it is uncomfortable for me when i wear pants that are not really stretchy around my waist--i also have a history of adhesions on my bowels and twisted up bowels..i am learning that there are different kinds of hernias --i did not know this and i think i may have more than one hernia also. Congrsats on your weight loss.. Prayers and thanks again

SUSIE SMITH FROM NE PA

Susie Smith from PA    

dasie
on 4/20/13 10:07 am
Price, did they use mesh? After reading these posts, it does not sound like a difficult repair. What were your symptoms?

Sonogrrl
on 9/12/12 6:04 am
RNY on 05/22/12
So they CAN see an umbilical hernia on a CT scan, not sure why your doctor told you that; however, that fact that on a physical exam your belly button is bulging is a pretty good indicator it's a hernia and an imaging test is really necessary. The biggest concern is that a hernia can contain loops of bowel/intestine which can get strangulated and lose their blood supply causing the bowel to die which can be very painful and require emergency surgery. Best to get the hernia fixed now before something emergent happens. Hope this helps.
RNY 5/22/12      27.5.bs lost pre-op      
65rosesmom
on 9/12/12 6:28 am
After my third vertical c-section (incision starts at belly button) I quickly developed an umbilical hernia. When standing it bulged out quite a bit, but when lying down I could feel the actual hole. Going to a surgeon to have it checked is what started me on the road to the RNY. He fixed it during surgery, no mesh. He felt it will probably come back and I will need the mesh in a year or two. YIPPEE!! (not) Mine never caused me any pain UNLESS I pushed on it.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 770 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 498 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 276 views