How much B12 and Vit. D do you take per day?

Kallen27
on 9/17/12 4:31 am

I am just making sure I am taking enough of B12 and Vit. D.

poet_kelly
on 9/17/12 4:53 am - OH
What I take is based on my labs and may not be what you need.  I take 1000 mcg B12 by subcutaneous injection once a week and I take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week.

The ASMBS recommends 350 to 500 mcg B12 daily if you use a sublingual, and 1000 mcg monthly if you do injections, but some people, like me, need more than that.

The AMSBS doesn't recommend a specific dose of D3 but just says it should be based on your labs.  The Linus Pauling Institute says we need our vitamin D level to be at least 80 and most post ops need at least 10,000 IU a day to keep their level up there.  A few need less, though.  I take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week and my level was 104 last time I had labs done.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kallen27
on 9/17/12 4:58 am
Thank you Kelly! I love how we can always count on you to help!

Kallen27
on 9/17/12 5:05 am
Sorry one more thing what is the best Vit. D to get?

poet_kelly
on 9/17/12 5:40 am - OH
It needs to be D3, not D2, and it needs to be dry, not in oil.  That means a dry tablet or a capsule with dry powdery stuff inside, not a soft gel with oily stuff inside.

Any brand is fine.  If you want a big dose, I suggest the 50,000 IU D3 capsules from vitalady.  It's hard to find big doses in stores.  Also, D3 is a fat soluble vitamin so we don't have to take it every day.  So you might only need the 50,000 IU capsules once or twice a week instead of having to take them daily, which I like because I like to take as few pills as possible.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/12 6:46 am
You seem to know a ton about vitamins and I really appreciate all of your helpful information. I'm just curious...why does it need to be dry?
poet_kelly
on 9/17/12 7:39 am - OH
Because we malabsorb fats after RNY.  That means we don't absorb them real well.  We absorb some fat, but not all of the fat we consume.  Oil is a fat, so we don't absorb vitamins in oil very well.

jmjm55077
on 9/17/12 8:10 am - MN
Thanks for the information...I did not know that it should be a dry tab instead of gel...will change what I'm taking...
jane   

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/12 4:56 pm
Ok that makes sense. I didn't even think of it like that.
Dave Chambers
on 9/17/12 6:20 am - Mira Loma, CA

I had very low D issues post op. After several lab tests, and incremental uptake in weekly dosage of the 50K IU dry D3, it's finally just above 90, where I want it to be. But, I would not take any initial doses more than 3 of these per week, UNLESS subsequent labs ( at least 60 days later) indicated my lab score was still below 80.  Every patient's daily need for vitamin D and B12 will vary also.  Some pateints can use 3 of the 50 K iu dry D3 and get labs of 89-90, but I needed 7 per week.

Kind of the same thing for B12.  I had high B12 levels my first several labs post op on daily sublingual B12, and my doc said to stop taking B12 and start again when levels got below 1000.  I currently take 3 of the 2500mcg sublingual B12 per week, and my labs 6 weeks ago were at 2000. My doc said this was OK for me. My wife takes the same 2500mcg daily, and her B12 was a 1034.  So I take more than twice the B12 as she does and her B12 labs are half of mine.  I would base increases in these vitamins on labs, not just take a "jacked up amount" that someone else takes. Their body may require the higher amounts.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 248 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?