Causes of nausea?

Jennifer P.
on 9/18/12 12:46 pm - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 I'm 7 weeks post op and thought my nausea was due to constipation, but I've taken dulcolax and cleared everything out and I'm still nauseous.  I've been home from work yesterday and today because of it.  Anyone have suggestions?  I can't stand this feeling anymore!!!

kirk6400
on 9/18/12 1:01 pm - Watauga, TX
RNY on 09/06/12
Have you asked for some anti-nausea meds? Maybe they would help. I experienced some nausea starting about 3 days post-op and it was because of constipation, but after getting things moving again, my nausea is gone. So sorry you're feeling this way. There's nothing worse than being sick to your stomach. Well, dizziness sucks pretty bad, which I experience when I lie down or roll over in bed. But at least that only lasts about 20 secs.

I'd tell you to drink some gingerale but we're not supposed to drink carbonated drinks anymore. Hopefully, someone might have a home remedy. What about taking something like dramamine? I know it's for motion sickness but since nausea is too, maybe it would help.

Or maybe something like Prilosec, or Pepcid, or maybe just good old Pepto Bismol....be sure it's safe to take these though.

HW...265....SW...260....CW....229....RNY on 9/06/12

kirk6400
on 9/18/12 1:10 pm - Watauga, TX
RNY on 09/06/12
Just found in this forum where people say do not take pepto bismol because it contains NSAIDS...but they say children's pepto is safe.

HW...265....SW...260....CW....229....RNY on 9/06/12

Jennifer P.
on 9/18/12 1:11 pm - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 I don't want to take anything that will help stop me up - I'm nervous of being constipated again.  I already take prilosec, so that's taken care of.  I think I have anti nausea pills somewhere.  Might have to track them down...

cajungirl
on 9/18/12 1:21 pm
Not sure what caused it to start happening now.  Are you getting in enough liquids?

I struggled with nausea for 8-9 weeks but mine started within a few days of surgery.  You may want to try sipping on hot peppermint tea, it helped me when I dealt with nausea constantly.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

vickib_tx
on 9/18/12 1:51 pm - Kaufman, TX
I was having trouble with nausea last weekend.  I had my RNY July 10.  After searching the forums, I found several posts saying if you're not drinking enough liquid throughout the day, nausea will occur.  When I increased my liquids, the nausea went away.

Hope this helps.

Vicki
Jennifer P.
on 9/18/12 1:52 pm - MN
RNY on 07/31/12
 I wouldn't doubt that's my problem.  Thanks!

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 9/18/12 3:37 pm
Most post ops have nausea when they haven't gotten in enough water. We dehydrate easily and the first symptom is nausea. I had it early out - had to up my water from 64 ounces recommended daily to 86 ounces and it went away almost immediately. I have to maintain that even now or I get that nauseaus and dizzy feeling. If you're not getting enough water try that - then check foods for sugar content or oil or something else that may be bothering you.
Jen 11 yrs post op RNY
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 17 views