Question about strictures

Beth B.
on 9/19/12 2:35 pm - Fayetteville, NC
I had an endoscopy done this morning and he dilated my opening and I have felt better this afternoon.  But I am curious because I can't connect the feeling better with the stricture.  Does having a stricture make you feel horrible?  My stomach hurt all the time, I could hardly eat, and drink and was miserable.  How does having the dilation make my stomach stop hurting?  Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but just curious.  Just hope I continue to feel this way.

Beth

MissLisaD
on 9/19/12 2:59 pm - CA
RNY on 05/31/12

I had a stricture at 3 weeks.  It was awful.  I went back to the hospital for 5 days because they 1) didn't think I had a stricture, and 2) was so dehydrated they couldn't get an iv started.  After 5 days in the hospital they decided to do an endoscopy and WHAAAAAT...........I had a stricture.....just like I thought! I'm telling you, the minute they dilated the stricture I felt so much better.  It took a couple days for me to really eat normally again, and a couple weeks later they had to re-dilate me because I started feeling like the stricture was coming back.  But, let me tell you....the difference is AMAZING and it's such a simple fix! 

On that note, when they did the second endo they found an ulcer, so I was still feeling icky for a while there, but last month I finally felt like I could eat and I don't worry about throwing up at every meal anymore! 

I hope this answers your question :) 

HW: (265 in 2007) Consult weight: 247 SW: 221 CW:151.8 GW:140     

bubbylucy
on 9/20/12 5:23 am - Raleigh, NC
 I am a graduate of stricture university ha ha. I had a stricture at 4 weeks post op and had it dilated 5 times before it would stay open. I did not experience much pain except for the feeling of a rock in my pouch until I would have to vomit up what i ate. The pain is from the food sitting in your new pouch and not being able to move down your system.
Be aware it is more common to have to have multiple dilations. Be patient.

Good luck
Audra

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 212 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 478 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?